Show: Today's Messages :: Unanswered :: Navigator :: Polls
445 Search Results Found
1 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 06 October 2011 14:46 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Speaker placement and wavefront launch
I have two answers for you, one that you asked for and the other, you didn't. First is the reason sound waves become spherical at a distance. All sound waves in free space tend to radiate this way, even if they start off as a plane wave (like from ...
2 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 06 October 2011 00:29 «» By: Wayne Parham
The seven π is definitely a better choice if you have the right corners, as you've rightly observed from the illustrations. You really notice the difference in the midrange. That's not to say the four π speaker is deficient in any way - it's very good ...
3 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 05 October 2011 17:35 «» By: Wayne Parham
The illustrations show radiation from a monopole source with boundary distances relative to wavelength. You're right that different frequencies create different patterns in the room, because the speaker is a fixed distance from the boundaries. But thes...
4 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Tue, 04 October 2011 13:41 «» By: AudioFred
Re: Ultimate Dipole Line Array
We're showing our age by remembering the "Sweet 16". I believe it was in Popular Science, which every 1960's high school science geek looked forward to receiving every month. With 16 drivers arranged in a square, the Sweet 16 beamed like a 24...
5 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sun, 02 October 2011 02:02 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Alpha or Delta 10?
The constant directivity cornerhorn provides a much better pattern, better imaging and is almost 10dB more sensitive too. Sounds like a no-brainer to me, whichever midrange driver you choose. You won't be pushing them hard at all, so they'll barely be b...
6 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sun, 02 October 2011 00:35 «» By: Wayne Parham
Speaker placement and wavefront launch
The ideal: The constant directivity cornerhorn. In this configuration, the sound source is within 1/4λ from the apex of the corner. This makes the walls act essentially as a large waveguide, confining radiation to the angle of the walls. There is no ...
7 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Fri, 09 September 2011 22:33 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Discussion on waveguides / horns
I wouldn't wait. The H290 isn't lacking anything in this design. I will definitely give the SEOS horns a proper evaluation but I won't be changing the line for at least two years, even if I should choose to do so. I can't see prioritizing this over ...
8 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Fri, 09 September 2011 17:24 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Discussion on waveguides / horns
I've asked them to send me a couple of them to work with. I like what they've done, looks like a great horn. But it's certainly not just a bolt-on swap, to be sure. You can design a horn to be that way, but it's not necessarily going to be a drop-in...
9 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Fri, 09 September 2011 00:22 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Contemplating a change
Well, I guess it's no surprised I'm biased, but then again, the trend towards uniform directivity among experts is clear. Controlled, uniform directivity is always welcomed, but in a small room, it's even more important because reflections are so much s...
10 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 08 September 2011 14:51 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Contemplating a change
Don't use an H295, it's a spitty and nasty sounding. If you go from a tractrix horn to that thing, you'll think constant directivity is responsible and we'll lose you forever. Get an H290. It's a radial horn, with nearly constant horizontal dire...
Pages (45): [ «    11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26    »]

Current Time: Wed May 01 18:56:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio
Smith & Larson Audio