Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne, what is your personal favorite Pi speaker?
Wayne, what is your personal favorite Pi speaker? [message #49174] Fri, 24 March 2006 17:51 Go to next message
Matt Presley is currently offline  Matt Presley
Chancellor
Is it the speaker you use in your main home system? And if so what gear are you running it with? I just got curious after reading about the professional line with JBL components and doing some modeling. -Matt

Re: Wayne, what is your personal favorite Pi speaker? [message #49175 is a reply to message #49174] Sat, 25 March 2006 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The seven π cornerhorn has been my favorite loudspeaker for 25 years. I always say if you have the corners, use 'em.

Re: Wayne, what is your personal favorite Pi speaker? [message #49176 is a reply to message #49175] Sat, 25 March 2006 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
And for those of us without corners, which one do you prefer?

Re: Wayne, what is your personal favorite Pi speaker? [message #49177 is a reply to message #49176] Sat, 25 March 2006 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I have a pair of Pro four π's as well as the sevens, and I like them a lot. I've always been fond of the Pro four π's. Another great sounding setup is to put the midhorn on top, essentially using the four π as the bass bin and having the mid and tweeter setup of the seven π.

I also have a pair of tower two π's and I love them. I find myself listening to them a lot. When I developed the midhorns and was testing them, one of the last things I tried, an afterthought really, was to mount the Alpha 10 from the two π on the midhorn and use a large vented rear chamber. The prototype became the eight π, and I love that speaker too. I'm having a pair of those built in a special two-tone retro finish, hoping to have them done maybe by late summer. I keep the wood shop busy making 12π's right now, so the eight π's are on the back burner, but I'll definitely have them ready by GPAF 2007.

Re: Wayne, what is your personal favorite Pi speaker? [message #49228 is a reply to message #49177] Sat, 01 April 2006 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimbop is currently offline  jimbop
Viscount
The idea of using the four π as the bass bin and having the mid and tweeter setup of the seven π is interesting. Does this setup still require corner placement? How does the the four Pi cabinet respond in the corners compared to the seven Pi cabinet?

jd

Re: Wayne, what is your personal favorite Pi speaker? [message #49231 is a reply to message #49228] Sat, 01 April 2006 09:05 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No, the point of using the four π as the bass bin is to get around the requirement of using corners. If you have suitable corners, go with the sevens. If not, use fours. If the model of four π is slightly underdamped, like the Pro four π or Theater three or four π, then the speaker can be used in or near corners. If it has closert to a flat alignment like the Stage four π, then I'd suggest that it not be placed in corners unless the room is very large.

Previous Topic: B&C Pi 4
Next Topic: Mica foil capacitor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 25 18:21:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout