Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Stage 4Pi improvement
Re: Stage 4Pi improvement [message #49044 is a reply to message #49025] Tue, 07 March 2006 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LAL is currently offline  LAL
Baron
Gar,
The reason I didn't originally line all surfaces with "Glop" is that I was trying to build it according to the instructions. Lining one side was a concession to my suspicion that the bare wall was going to be too reflective and ring too much. Looking back on it I could have lined all sides with "Glop" to control the cabinet ringing issue and experimented with varying decrees of fiberglass coverage. I have used Black Hole #5 on smaller cabinets with apparent success so when I saw a similar product for half the price which I thought might be effective to control both cabinet ringing and the back wave from the woofer I went for it. As I indicated in my prior post, I am very satisfied with how it turned out, but there certainly might been other approaches that would have worked better and cheaper.
LAL

Re: No offense, Matts, but [message #49050 is a reply to message #49036] Wed, 08 March 2006 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
There are commercial speakers using that configuration and the explanation of it's use is on the net for years, even before the so-called patent. Even before the net.

Re: Stage 4Pi improvement [message #49051 is a reply to message #49044] Wed, 08 March 2006 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I agree that damp and absorb are both important, especially with large cabinets. Also agree that there's more than one approach, whether you layer different material, suspend material, or use an all-in-one like Sonic Barrier. There's still a premium on price for Sonic Barrier compared to basic fibreglass or eggcrate, but I'm sure plenty of people see value in its convenience.

Re: First order x-over [message #49052 is a reply to message #49050] Wed, 08 March 2006 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Hi,
(note: I think I don't need to make a new post on this subject because is not that complex)
That's what I mean. Why a patent (Diaur.) for a series x-over that only works for first order (does it?) and you can't (deal with) work on attenuation properly. I just want to know if anybody tryed -- or listen to -- a coil in parallel with a tweeter instead of a cap in series and the main difference in sound, if any.
Regards

Re: First order x-over [message #49054 is a reply to message #49052] Wed, 08 March 2006 13:18 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I'd like to help but years ago I tried on a pair of University Speakers. That was about when I read the first article concerning the Diaural in Audiophile Times. I liked it however I also tossed the cabinet and mounted the speakers on a baffleboard at the same time. So take it with a grain of salt. But that system everyone who heard it liked it. It had an eerie way of disappearing in the room to the point that people would glance around looking for them initially.
I would suggest you try it.

Previous Topic: FredT's looked so good and Shane complained, so...
Next Topic: The MOST SUB - Just for fun
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 23:36:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout