Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3 Pi Theater With 8" Eminence Beta Midrange
Re: fred thanks but * [message #48745 is a reply to message #48743] Mon, 30 January 2006 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You're comparing a $480 kit to a $3,750 kit. The line array has greater bass impact, especially at high volume levels. The 7" Vifa midwoofers are a bit warmer and have a slightly cleaner midrange than the 12" Eminence woofer. If the Eminence tweeter is an 8, the Fountek ribbons are a 10+. You can hear the difference in any music with soft strikes on a ride cymbal; there's quite a bit more resolution. The image localization is better on the 3 Pi; the soundstage is bigger on the line array.

And I Forgot to Mention... [message #48746 is a reply to message #48744] Mon, 30 January 2006 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The thin one prefers Krell Reference electronics driving Magnepan or Martin Logan speakers. The short one prefers an Abraxas Audio Spud amp driving Pi speakers. Neither talks while you're listening.

See and Hear at GPAF [message #48748 is a reply to message #48736] Mon, 30 January 2006 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The stock 3 Pi Theaters are the speakers I'll be taking to the GPAF for the "Show & Tell" room. If you have a favorite amp and wonder how it would sound with the 3 Pi Theater speakers, bring it, and we'll hook it up and give it a listen.

Re: And I Forgot to Mention... [message #48751 is a reply to message #48746] Mon, 30 January 2006 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: And I Forgot to Mention... [message #48752 is a reply to message #48746] Mon, 30 January 2006 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Fred; you have described the all time dream women; so where are they?
Are they pigments of your imagination?

Re:Rent, don't buy [message #48754 is a reply to message #48740] Mon, 30 January 2006 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The thin, sophisticated beauty is a control freak and won't let you be you. The short curvy one, for all her virtues, has a brother she sneaks money to and takes his side whenever you confront him.
I've '[been]owned [by]' both.

Re: And I Forgot to Mention... [message #48756 is a reply to message #48746] Mon, 30 January 2006 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Ooo, ooo. I'm got one of Jef's spud amps on the to do list this spring. Since I'm short, fat, and starting to lose hair, get my speaker cable at Walmart, have a set of Pi's, and Maggies or ML's make me feel totally inadequate----I'll take the unsophisticated one. They're more fun!

The Two Women [message #48758 is a reply to message #48752] Tue, 31 January 2006 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The best characteristics from both combine to form a composite of my wife, except she doesn't like opera or C&W, and while she loves Target she believes Wal Mart is evil incarnate and won't set foot in their stores even to buy my beloved Royal speaker cable, and occasionally she talks while I'm listening to my system, but a glare shuts her up immediately. The worst characteristics are from a former girlfriend whom I fortunately didn't marry. I wonder if she's one of Bill's exes.

Re: And I Forgot to Mention... [message #48759 is a reply to message #48756] Tue, 31 January 2006 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You and I have a lot in common except I'm beyond "starting" to lose hair. I hadn't looked at Jeff's web site in a few months, but when I did it occurred to me that the Spud Amp kit is a helluva bargain at $299. If I were getting into tubes on a tight budget this would be a good starting point, and with a pair of One Pi kits for another $150 plus a mass market DVD player for $75 I could build a $700 system that would outperform any $2K system from mainstream high end manufacturers.

Jef's amps [message #48761 is a reply to message #48759] Tue, 31 January 2006 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Jef and I have corresponded some about me building my own Darling amp. He has given me great pointers and insight when I go to build my own. That is one thing that I really admire about Jeff, that he is willing to help and answer the "stupid" questions that we newbs have. The first three amps I'd like to build are the 6EM7/13EM7, 6197 Spud, and a stock Darling. Then on to an EL34 SE to replace the one I got from Wayne that UPS damaged. I've got a tubes for everyting. But, unfortunately, funds are limited, so I'm starting to round up parts here and there with not enough to build anything yet. Soon, soon.

Previous Topic: Measuring Doppler Distortion
Next Topic: 300B+7Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 18:53:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout