Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Is mixing 'n matching cabs a bad idea ?
Is mixing 'n matching cabs a bad idea ? [message #48601] Fri, 13 January 2006 04:19 Go to next message
pieter is currently offline  pieter
Esquire
Hope this is the right forum, I'm looking for some open minded speaker and cab geeks.....

I'm looking for a 2nd cab for my bassguitar playing. My first cab is a 1x12 + tweeter. As a whole, that cab is full range. It is 8 ohms.

I'm looking for a second 8 ohm cab.

Some guys buy (or build) an identical cab, so that they have two 1x12 cabs. The second cab can be without a tweeter. They say: the two cabs must be identical, otherways the lows will never be tight.

Other guys like to add a 10". So, they have a 1x12 + 1x10. Or even a 1x12 + a 2x10. Or, they add a different 1x12 (so, they use two different 12" drivers). Usually, no cross overs are used between the cabs, so both cabs run full range.

These guys say: the second cab should be different, to compensate for the weak points of the first cab. For instance, if the first cab has a strong bass but shy mids, they like to add a cab with a lean bass and strong mids.

My question: who is right? Must the cabs be identical, to prevent "mud", or can the cabs be different, so that they complement each other ?

Second (related) question: if one uses different cabs with overlapping frequencies, MUST one use a crossover? Why? What cross over?

Thanks in advance,

Pieter

Re: Is mixing 'n matching cabs a bad idea ? [message #48606 is a reply to message #48601] Fri, 13 January 2006 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Assuming you're planning to use a group of speakers for high-fidelity sound production, you're looking for flat response, low distortion and even and predictable coverage. You have a handful of things to consider. Where groups of speakers are used, you have interaction between them. At frequencies low enough where the distance between speakers is less than 1/4λ, the sound will combine and act as a single sound source. But as frequency rises, the interaction will become complex, and you will find places in the listening area where dead spots will form. Other places the same frequency will be loud. So you'll find pockets of sound in the listening area. Even straight on-axis (the only place some home hifi owners consider), you'll have complex interactions that develop between sound sources. It all depends on the size and position of the speakers and the crossover and any electronic delays that are used.

High fidelity requires flat response, low distortion and as faithful reproduction of the recorded signal as possible. But electronic musical instruments use the loudspeaker as part of the overall sound, and it is voiced to suit the musician. So basically what sounds good to your ears is what you should be using. Rarely do musicians choose a speaker for the same reasons that a home hifi buyer would, or even a sound company doing shows.

As a bass player, you might not be as interested in speakers with a neutral presentation as you are with making your own sound. Modeling amps are a little bit of an exception to this rule, but still, as a musician, you're looking for your own unique sound. So if you're not looking to do modeling, you might want to keep an open mind, try a few setups and find what sound suits you best.

Re: Is mixing 'n matching cabs a bad idea ? [message #48607 is a reply to message #48606] Fri, 13 January 2006 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Wayne, thanks for the thoughtful reply. As always, I'll let my ears decide!

This is what we did. [message #48611 is a reply to message #48607] Fri, 13 January 2006 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
When I was playing gigs, our bass player tried several of the combinations that you talked about and settled on a single 12" and a single 10" miked from his cabinets, then we ran some of the feed from that out from the board to a couple of 18"'s. This seemed to sound better to all of us out of all the combinations as far as bass extension and that almighty crisp thump that you're looking for.

Re: This is what we did. [message #48612 is a reply to message #48611] Sat, 14 January 2006 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Good idea. Been thinking about that. Some miked cabs (12 and 10) sound for the colur, and some bass direct to the board for clean lows. Right? Thanks.

Re: This is what we did. [message #48613 is a reply to message #48612] Sat, 14 January 2006 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Yeah, we just miked each speaker and ran those signals to the board. Used the 12" for "color" as you say and spit it out of the general PA setup and our own feedback stage monitors and sent the signal from the 10" through the board, many many power amps, and to the 18" prosub cabinets for extreme kick. Worked nice.

Re: Is mixing 'n matching cabs a bad idea ? [message #48614 is a reply to message #48601] Sat, 14 January 2006 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimbop is currently offline  jimbop
Viscount
Try posting your questions here:

Re: Is mixing 'n matching cabs a bad idea ? [message #48615 is a reply to message #48601] Sat, 14 January 2006 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
(First, about Guitar cabs, then a link to bass cab design.)

Guitar cabs vs PA (or home stereo) cabs:

Some time ago I received this from my brother, and lifelong sideman, a guitarist himself. He asked me to post this: The basic audiophile rules of speaker design need to be ingored. For guitar cabs, the cabs themselves are part of the sound--they need to be live, not dead, as with audio and PA cabs--so you don't want to stuff the boxes at all. I have some decent, but rather old Epicure stereo speakers and have run my Les Paul through them--Yuck! It is the driest, deadest sound imaginable. You want the sound to be colored by the cabinet because the straight sound is uninteresting. Craig Anderton, John Simonton along with PAiA have a tube pre-amp for guitar called stack-in-a-box (http://www.paia.com/tubestuf.htm#siab) with "two switchable filters simulate the timbre of speaker cabinet resonances." You want to minimize bracing, until you get up to 4x12 cabs and then a single front to rear brace is fine. You want limited low end response and so forget porting and you want nothing over about 7.5 k, so forget piezos (or any kind of tweeter) altogether. Anything over 7.5 k you get an unpleasant harshness that even a heavy metal guitarist would want to avoid. There is a good discussion of this at the Celestion site.

You want neither ports nor tweeters nor damping material in a guitar amp. Bass guitar, keyboard, other instruments, PA, etc. will have different designs, but these will usually follow the guidelines of standard hi-fi speaker design more closely than guitar cabs.

Electric-acoustic guitar speaker design is different still, using more of the upper mid range and less of the lows. DJ cabs will often be a bit heavier in the bass guitar range to pound out the beat for dancing. Just as with other things, "Form follows function."

The guitar amp probably does no damping of highs. The reason for this is that guitar amps are designed to run with guitar speaker cabs, which do not reproduce frequencies above about 5 or 6 k. No need to worry about those highs if the speakers are not going to reproduce above 5or 6 k. If you want the amp/speaker setup to do several things, it might be a good idea to put an L-pad in the crossover and turn the tweeters way down. An on-off toggle to the tweeters would probably work just as well.

(Now, on to bass cabs)

Go to the link below, read up.

Also take a look at this link: http://sound.westhost.com/instamps.htm

Re: Is mixing 'n matching cabs a bad idea ? [message #48616 is a reply to message #48615] Sat, 14 January 2006 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
Further, I did some tone analysis of samples of bass guitar sent to me by a fellow here. We found that for all of them, the 2nd harmonic (f x 2) was stronger than the fundamental (f).

As far as this bass spkr project

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Bistro/3491/speaker.html

the model number he quotes for the 15" woofer is no longer valid. I ran the numbers and in that cab you can also use the Eminence Delta-15, Delta Pro-15, Gamma-15.

For the 2x12 cab by the same author

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Bistro/3491/speaker2.html

You can use Eminence Delta-12's.

Re: Is mixing 'n matching cabs a bad idea ? [message #48617 is a reply to message #48616] Sat, 14 January 2006 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I've seen a lot of spectographs for different instruments, and for most orchestral instruments, the second harmonic is louder than the fundamental. this is especially true for violins. there's often a whole harmonic series in each note on a good violin, and it varies depending on how and where it's bowed.

Previous Topic: Two pi and Tower two ~ Xover and plans
Next Topic: Anybody with plans and circuit for 12" based 3 ways?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 02:09:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio