Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Stage 4 Update
Stage 4 Update [message #48054] Sun, 23 October 2005 22:26 Go to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
My fairly new Stage 4's have been getting nicer & smoother with more play. Also, this weekend replaced the stock horn compensator(?) with one made of Mills non-inductive resisitors and an Auricap. Even w/out break-in, it sounds a lot smoother and much more defined. I also found the nuts on the woofer connections had loosened a tad (all that Tupac to loosened up more than the cone), and one of the spade connections was a little loose. Good to get that stuff tightened up again- it's like re-torquing the head after 900 miles. Eventually, going to replace all the stock caps in series and solder it all up- since I'm using Paramours I don't need the high-power capability in the stock. Going to be fun....

Re:Bologna and Wonder Bread [message #48055 is a reply to message #48054] Mon, 24 October 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Those attenuation caps are really crucial to the sound. I've had Solens (unremarkable), Clarity (dreadfully bright), Auricaps (most listenable but maybe rolled-off?) and now Kimber Kaps. The Kimbers allow the most detail and air but give a hard edge to even Jacintha's creamy voice in the upper octave when pushed above normal listening levels. Hoping they'll break in but....
Maybe I'll pack Bologna and Wonder bread for a few weeks and get a pair of those VH Teflon caps for $120 each.

Re:Bologna and Wonder Bread [message #48056 is a reply to message #48055] Mon, 24 October 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
And to think I am using Parts Express MPP's and still eating bread and bologna!

Ron

Forget the spades [message #48057 is a reply to message #48054] Mon, 24 October 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Spades are poor connectors. Solder the wires directly to the drivers instead. If you want the option to disconnect the drivers, then solder a 4" length of wire to the driver and connect the bare wire on the other end with electrical screw caps. Twist it in tight.

Re:Bologna and Wonder Bread [message #48058 is a reply to message #48055] Mon, 24 October 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
listening more today- sounds much better already, especially with orchestral music. Whole different speaker. I've tried several of the boutique caps in different things. I think the Auricaps are the best all-rounder & most predictable- they open it up and give great definition. Probably another type would be better in any given app, but for the $$ the experiment gets expensive quick..and it's nice to be able to put a good deli mustard on those bologna sandwiches!

Now I have to decide what to do about the other caps, and they get expensive quick... maybe bologna & mustard roll-ups?

Re: Forget the spades [message #48059 is a reply to message #48057] Mon, 24 October 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
man, I was cursing the spades blue the other night working with them...shoulda soldered it all from the start! Actually, I do have a few connections soldered now where I was so frustrated with the spades, rest will come soon... Wierd how something intended to be simpler is so much more of a pain.

Re:Bologna and Wonder Bread [message #48060 is a reply to message #48056] Mon, 24 October 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
looks like Bill has a lot of decent caps he could give you to recycle...trade him a bottle of Gulden's Brown or Hebrew National mustard for those sandwiches

Re:Bologna and Wonder Bread [message #48061 is a reply to message #48056] Mon, 24 October 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Same here!

Re:Nobody FORCED you to buy a wooden hole in the water!nt [message #48063 is a reply to message #48061] Mon, 24 October 2005 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Re: Forget the spades [message #48065 is a reply to message #48059] Mon, 24 October 2005 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I know what you mean. Sometimes they're too loose, and sometimes they're snug enough to break the connector.

Previous Topic: Heat exchangers Wayne
Next Topic: Pic Posting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 20 14:18:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout