Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Audiophile Series seven π
Re: Eminence or JBL [message #47603 is a reply to message #47602] Sat, 27 August 2005 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
beto1 is currently offline  beto1
Baron
Hi Wayne,
I forget to ask you another thing. As I have say it, my room has 5 X 3.5 meters, but the equipment, obligatory, was on the large side, so the speakers "throw" was 3.5 meters, moreover, corners are far from them, so this attempt to the speakers corner design. This is a heavy situation? This attempt too much to the low frequencies? I know I can patch this, but if I don't, are the speakers permorm too weak?
Thanks, again, in advance.
Alberto

Re: Eminence or JBL [message #47604 is a reply to message #47603] Sat, 27 August 2005 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I generally prefer putting π cornerhorns along the short wall, but the long wall is usually good too if the room isn't too small. Your room is 16 feet by 11 feet, and that's a good size. If you put them along the 11 foot wall, the whole room from just a few feet back will sound good. With the speakers on the 16 foot wall, the best area will move back a little more from the common wall, but I think it will sound good throughout the room.

Re: Eminence or JBL [message #47608 is a reply to message #47604] Sun, 28 August 2005 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Wayne,
thanks for your advices. I think if I place the speakers on the large side, at 6 or 6.5 feets (around 1.8 or 2 meters), one each other I can put some panel or separation wall (with the speaker height and deep) on each outter speaker side to generate the corner situation, then the best area will be at 3 or 3.5 in front of them. Do you believe this will be a good solution? This is my actual configuration but with KEF bass reflex design speakers who don't need corners.
Regards,
Beto

Re: Eminence or JBL [message #47609 is a reply to message #47608] Sun, 28 August 2005 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No, use your corners if you can.

CORNER SITUATION [message #47610 is a reply to message #47609] Mon, 29 August 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Wayne,
thats the problem also, on the left corner, large side wall, there is a door, so I cant use this corner. I have plans to modify the house, specially this situation, (I live in a house that is not my design) but not at the short future.So, the next question will be how well is the performance for corner speakers design that is not placed on the corner. I supose that this affect low frequencies.
Regards,
Alberto

Re: CORNER SITUATION [message #47614 is a reply to message #47610] Mon, 29 August 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If it isn't in the corner, several things happen. None of them are terrible, but none are really good either. The corner forces all sound to radiate into the room from the apex. It limits the radiating angle to 90º, and this increases the intensity of sound. It also prevents sound from reflecting off the back or side walls, because that is their launch point. Sound travels along them or out into the room rather than bouncing off them, so early reflections are reduced. The midrange and tweeter horns are also 90º horns, so their pattern remains within the wall angle too, again, reducing early reflections. If you move the speaker so that it is no longer in the corner pointing into the room, you lose some or all of these benefits.

Re: CORNER SITUATION [message #47617 is a reply to message #47614] Tue, 30 August 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Wayne,
Thanks for your explanation. Now I get the picture. As an alternative set up, do believe that a bass reflex design like the Pi 4 model will work best in this situation? Do the Pi bass reflex design a good job with SET amplifiers, better than a corner speaker does is not placed on the corner?
Regards,
Alberto

Re: CORNER SITUATION [message #47619 is a reply to message #47617] Tue, 30 August 2005 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Four π speakers are really great. Another option is to add the midhorn and tweeter to the bass bin of a four π speaker. That gives you a sort of upgrade path too, you can start with a four π, add a midhorn later and even go to a seven π sometime if conditions change and you have corners to use them in.

4 π upgrading to 7π [message #47620 is a reply to message #47619] Tue, 30 August 2005 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thank you Wayne,
this seems to be a great idea. You mean a four π but with the Magnum 15HO (18HO, also?) in the Kilomax 15 place, I supose. But also supose that this arrange will need a different crossover. There are some information about it?
Thank you again,
Alberto

Re: 4 π upgrading to 7π [message #47621 is a reply to message #47620] Tue, 30 August 2005 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sorry, you can't use the Magnum 15 in a four π. Its cone construction limits midrange output, so it isn't really suitable for a DI matched two-way loudspeaker. You might look at the Stage or Pro Series instead, which are similar but use woofers suitable for using in either a four π or seven π speaker.

Previous Topic: Ping: ColinHester
Next Topic: Anyone have comments on the Stage four Pi or pictures of finished Pi's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 06:17:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio