Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What if the "live cabinet" Co's. like Audio Note are right?
Measurement [message #47490 is a reply to message #47469] Tue, 16 August 2005 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
If it sounds better to you,then thats what matters. Some would argue that,thats the only important issue.

In 'high performance loudspeakers' edited by Martin Colloms,there is a section devoted to panel resonance and measurement. An enclosure is arranged so that only the panel resonances are 'heard' while the driver output is trapped in a chamber.

The frequency response of the box is then plotted. Suprisingly, a 'reasonably well built' enclosures output was only -12dB lower than the driver output at certain frequencies(near 100hz from memory),and gradually reduced with increasing frequency.

To me,your loudspeakers simply cant be coloured in anyway unless you want it to be a musical instrument.

Linkwitz has gone without the box really,open baffle as have many.

Re:This is epistemology, let's take it a step further: [message #47497 is a reply to message #47478] Wed, 17 August 2005 09:45 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
This reminds me of an article I read in Audioxpress late last year or early this year. The author argued that the natural and delicate 2nd harmonics that gives instruments and voice their tonal richness may have a hard time surviving the long and complicated recording, mixing and writing process. The use of SET amps with high(er) levels of 2nd harmonic distortion adds the richness back.

Gar.

Previous Topic: What recommendation for home theater?
Next Topic: tuning the Alpha 10"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 17:49:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout