Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers.
Re: Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers. [message #47139 is a reply to message #47137] Thu, 16 June 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I use the Bottlehead Seduction with the upgrades on a pair of Theater 4's. I would be glad to answer any questions concerning my opinion of the combination. I demoed the Steotkit on those speakers also.

Consider how much you listen to music and whats important to you in sound reproduction. Then think about which turntable /arm/cartridge you will be using. Then examine the room you are listening in.

Re: Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers. [message #47141 is a reply to message #47139] Thu, 16 June 2005 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Manualblock - I listen to music anytime I get the chance. To be honest, when I started this adventure back in high school I heard a pair of Klipsch Heresey's and that's what started the wanting and realization that I will never have enough money for what I want.

I'll be using a Project Debut III, stock, and unfortunately we are renting till we buy a new house (just moved to TX not long ago). The room it would be in is a huge 25' x 20' room with 10' vaulted ceiling. Not ideal, but I am fully expecting a smaller room for this equipment to be in at some point. Shoot, the system I have now which is 20+ years old and small speakers puts out plenty of sound for me at this stage in my life. If I want extreme sound I'll break out the Les Paul and 5150 amp and peel the paint!

Really, I'm in the buying stage for everything. This is something I put on hold while the kids were younger and now my wife has given me the OK, within reason. I've heard great things about the Pi speakers and am a DIY junkie on most things I've tried.

Re: Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers. [message #47147 is a reply to message #47141] Fri, 17 June 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi Shane. I use Waynes Pi 4's daily and I believe they are one of the best deals in Audio. I will also say I believe Wayne has voiced these speakers for use with solid state amps. Now that doesn't mean they don't sound good with tubes because they do; but they shine with really good class A SS amps.
The Pi 2's I have not heard but am told there is a strong family resemblence so I will base my comments concerning the Seduction and Amplifier choices on the 4's.
You asked about the Seduction. I use mine with a Linn LP 12 and a Denon DL 103 or the Empire MC Gold. The Seduction works very well in that combination and my suggestion; it is the best deal in phono stages and you should buy it and build it, you won't be sad.
Your Project is fine, I don't know which cart you use but I would upgrade the cart before the table.
Amps for the Pi's. If you like DIY then it's tubes or SS.
The Pi's love solid state so for DIY I would suggest the Pass clone or the Hiraga 20 watt class A SS. I had the loan of a Threshold Stasis amp; 50 watt class A SS; it so loved the Pi's I wanted to keep it.
You can get those amps used for about 650$.
Tube Kits; this is tough. There are many available, they all sound good but they all sound different. Before I would pay over 550$ for a kit I would think long and hard. The kit I am using is designed by Roy Mottram and uses Hammond transformers PP EL 84 circuit; it's easy to build and I like the sound on the Pi's. It runs about 400$ and there is not an amp kit near that price that will improve on the sound.
There are lots of oriental amp kits out there that run in the 600/700$ range and don't really sound any better.
If you are handy and can build a chassis; it's a no brainer, the Eiclones are unbeatable at those prices. It is however a real project; but even using expensive Magnequest transformers it's pretty easy to build and runs about 500$ for the pair of mono-blocks. Those are in a different league than the oriental kits.

Re: Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers. [message #47455 is a reply to message #47136] Wed, 10 August 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Wayne, what about he NAD c320Bee amp with these? It will allow you to seperate the preamp and amp if wanted. The idea of a tube amp is not real high on the acceptability factor in the house right now (still trying :') ). But I thought this unit has gotten good reviews and would allow me to "eventually" swing in a decent tube pre or tube phono stage or even a tube power amp.

Re: Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers. [message #47459 is a reply to message #47455] Wed, 10 August 2005 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I can already hear the cries of sacrilege coming from the SET croud.

Seriously, I have a NAD C-160 preamp and it sounds very nice. NAD makes good equipment and I think you would be very happy with it.

But I also think that once your wife sees the warm glow of a tube amp, that will be the part of the system she likes best. Attractive tube amps have a presence in the room sort of like a fireplace, an almost romantic appeal. What gets you in trouble are the erector set looking amps, those don't generally get the same reaction as a good looking tube amp. But when the chassis is attractive, the warm glow of the tubes make the amp look like art with soft lighting.

Re: Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers. [message #47460 is a reply to message #47459] Wed, 10 August 2005 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
CRY,CRY!!!!

I asked her about it after I posted this. She said she really likes the way they look. But, she thinks it's a lot of money to spend on something that she regards as fragile now. I told her once she heard it she might change her mind (she has a tin ear though). I guess my main concern now is getting parts for the amp (such as tranny) if it should break. Was told that it could take anywhere from 1-3 months on major parts. That's where a US made or kit would be good I think. Heck, I don't know what to do now. I'm usually not indecisive at all, but his has thrown me for a loop.

Like I said, maybe the NAD, then add the tube stuff little by little over then next year or two? I can't wait for her to hear these 2 Pi's though.

Re: Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers. [message #47461 is a reply to message #47460] Wed, 10 August 2005 21:27 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I can understand your concern, but I think it's unfounded. Vacuum tubes are no more fragile than light bulbs. Remember that America went to the moon at a time when vacuum tubes were in everything. Without commenting on quality or any of the tube-verses-transistor debates, I'd say that you shouldn't worry about the fragility of a tube amp. It's just not an issue.

Transformers rarely fail, and so that's not really all that much of a concern. Some tubes are expensive, but most tube amps under a few grand use tubes that aren't that expensive. UPS can damage transistor amps just as easily as they can damage tube amps. They're usually pretty good, but I've seen 'em knock stuff so hard that metal chassis parts have bent.

Previous Topic: Pi 4 Theater with Coral H30 Horn Tweeter 3-20kHz 94dB/W-m
Next Topic: Big Amp mating with a 4 Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 04:17:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout