Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Should I build Pi's?
You've got mail! [message #46999 is a reply to message #46998] Wed, 01 June 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: Should I build Pi's? [message #47000 is a reply to message #46985] Wed, 01 June 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
swett is currently offline  swett
Baron
I really like this statement "The 1801's are more likely to make you feel the performers are in the room with you, the Pi's are more likely to make you feel that you are in the venue with the performers."

I think that is a nice summary of the comparison between good horns and good conventional setups.

Thanks, Ian

Re: I'm building them... Midrange options [message #47001 is a reply to message #46977] Wed, 01 June 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
As you can guess, I've decided to go ahead with some Pi's. I'm hoping to buy the JBL compression drivers and 2226's used, which will keep the price reasonable.

I'm going to stick with a passive crossover, at least for now, mostly due to simplicity and cost.

Wayne highly recommends his 10" midrange, and its affordable, but what would my cabinet options be to keep a horn midrange, but make the cabinet shorter(44")? Could I try to build the midrange into the cornerhorn cabinet to reduce the height? As long as I keep the box volume constant and don't change the rear chamber size, I should be Ok, correct?

-Ian

Re: Wayne, can I have the 4Pi Pro and old 7Pi Pro plans? [message #47004 is a reply to message #46998] Wed, 01 June 2005 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It depends. If you are getting the same drivers I did, they were OEM Jbl 2425h, so are plain fronts with a screw on mount only, no nose piece.
for all but screw on horns, you would need the adapter. I got mine from Bill when I ordered the drivers. I think parts express also has these cheap. I bought the basic plastic eminence horn that wayne sells for most of the kits, and it is a fine piece, but must be crossed over much higher than the 511b or 811b altec horns, for example. Of course to be fair, not only are most of the Pi speakers crossed over this high by design, but it is physically much smaller and compact compared to the mentioned altecs.

Russellc

Re: Wayne, can I have the 4Pi Pro and old 7Pi Pro plans? [message #47006 is a reply to message #47004] Wed, 01 June 2005 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Bill is selling me a pair of Peavey CH-3 horns with the jbl's, which screw right on, but thanks for the reply.

As a small perk, they're 1.5" shorter, so I just gained that extra little bit of cabinet height

-Ian

Re: Wayne, can I have the 4Pi Pro and old 7Pi Pro plans? [message #47026 is a reply to message #47006] Thu, 02 June 2005 18:53 Go to previous message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Great, you will love the drivers. i have only used them on my A7s, both with their 511b horn ( and 500 hz crossover, which is probably a little low for best results) as well as the H290 I believe it is that is used on the 4Pi. Ask wayne for the plans to the 7Pi that is 3 way, but doesnot use the mid horn, but mounts it on the front baffel. It would be the same height as the 2 way version.

Enjoy,
Russellc

Previous Topic: Here's a 15" wooferer with great specs for $172
Next Topic: Pi 7's , will they work for me?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 00:56:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio