Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Alpha 15 in 8 cubic foot box
Alpha 15 in 8 cubic foot box [message #46809] Tue, 03 May 2005 13:49 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
How well would this combination work? What size ports would be needed to optimize response?......Colin

Re: Alpha 15 in 8 cubic foot box [message #46810 is a reply to message #46809] Tue, 03 May 2005 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That Alpha 15 needs a really large box. You could go with 8.0ft3, but tune it very low, like 10Hz - 15Hz, no kidding. I used to make a 12 cubic foot cabinet for them tuned low like that and it sounded pretty good. There's a swell in bass between 50 and 100Hz about 3-5dB, so it's best used in very large rooms or outdoors. It will overload a small room, so if the room is small, go for a Delta 15 instead.

Re: Alpha 15 in 8 cubic foot box [message #46811 is a reply to message #46810] Tue, 03 May 2005 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
After building Guinevere, I realized (thanks to manualblock) that I should be put off the amp until I get some sensitive speakers. I was trying to piece together a set of Altec Model 19s, but the cost of original drivers is just outrageous. I did, however, manage to get a set of 811b lenses.

What I would like to do is recreate, using a Pi kit, a set of Model 19s. The plans I will use are linked below. Seems pretty straight forward with very few cuts. The internal volume is around 8 cubic feet, so that was why I asked about that particular volume. So, my question: how would I modify the porting to tune the Delta 15 for best response?

The next question deals with the HF driver included in the Pi 4 Theater Series Bass Reflex, namely the PSD2002. I saw you did some computer simulation using this driver with the 811b and seemed to get a pretty good response (http://www.audioroundtable.com/PiSpeakers/messages/9345.html) using the crossover 1K6a008dB. In real life, how does this comination sound? How easily does the PSD2002 connect to the 811b? Also, is this particluar crossover included in the Pi 4 Theater Series kit?.....Colin

PS Many congrats on a very successful show. Please keep the pictures coming....

Delta 15 in 8 cubic foot box for Model 19 [message #46812 is a reply to message #46811] Tue, 03 May 2005 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The PSD2002 sounds excellent on the Altec 811 with the same crossover used in the Theater four π speaker. You can really consider the whole kit to be a good second source to Altec components for the Model 19 loudspeaker, but swap the polarity of the HF driver. The cabinet tuning for the woofer isn't bad, but I'd rather see it tuned a little lower for the Delta 15. I'd suggest using a 10" long duct with 2.5" by 11" hole cutout.

Re: Alpha 15 in 8 cubic foot box [message #46813 is a reply to message #46811] Tue, 03 May 2005 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
What do you consider outrageous? I have a couple altec compression drivers I am nor using, could probably be talked into parting with one set. I am not in the selling biz, just have more than I'm using, and I've got the JBL 7 Pi thing in the works...how many more do I need?

regards,
Russellc

Re: Alpha 15 in 8 cubic foot box [message #46842 is a reply to message #46811] Sat, 07 May 2005 08:29 Go to previous message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sorry Colinhester,
I received an email from you, but can no longer locate it, i think it was in my filter when I read it and I thought I transfersed to inbox prior to deletion of the filter, but obvioulsy did not. I had mentioned these drivers at Waynes advice some time ago in the "for sale section" , so I don,t think wayne would mind if I mentioned them here. I do not want to sell all, but would probably part with one set. I have a working set of 802 8d with old original diaprams (aluminum) a pair of 908 8b with original diaprams (symbiotic) this driver can easily be switched to 902 8a specs with a new diapram and removal of the loading cap, and I also have a nice set of 808 8b ( symbiotic). Like the 908 above, a simple conversion w/new diapram to a really nice driver, alnico like the 802, but with tangarine phase plug of the 902 series. Email me again if one of these appeals to you. The 808 would be the most painful to partwith. The 908 would probably be the best bang for buck, but for maximum home hi fi use would need the aluminum diapram from great plains. They sound fine as is, but the very high end can be slightly and noticeable improved with the other diapram. 802 are nice and vintage, but in my opinion the 900 series are far better, yours and others opinions may vary. What ever you do to them, you never lose money with altec. Once redone, for home use they'll be good for 40 to 50 years!

Russellc (sorry about the late reply)

Previous Topic: Eight PI as extended midrange system
Next Topic: GPAF coverage
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 16:51:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers