Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Hey, BNAL
Re: Please report any SEX experience with the Theater 4s! [message #46200 is a reply to message #46195] Wed, 26 January 2005 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
newsjeff is currently offline  newsjeff
Baron
Garland, I don't think any of my amps are in the Reference cagtagory. Someday soon I will be able to affored the Welborne DRD 300B.
Right now I'm pushing the Theater 4s with an 80s era Yamaha M-80 (200 wpc) and a Bottlehead Foreplay.
You may think I'm crazy, but this combination sounds very dynamic and fast to me. The Foreplay tames the SS amp very well. And talk about some high db, that combo will get the roof shanking.
However, I mostly listen at lower volume, and I really want a good S.E.T.amp for daily use.
When it's time for the house pary, that TANK of a Yamaha is going back in.

Re: Please report any SEX experience with the Theater 4s! [message #46205 is a reply to message #46200] Fri, 28 January 2005 07:48 Go to previous message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
Comparing tube watts and transistor watts, or the subjective impressions thereof is a never-ending source of entertainment to me. I set my step-son on a an all-day head-scratcher with the following:

In our downstairs home theatre lair. (Ha! A DVD player, 27 inch TV and whatever amp and speakers aren't busy!), I plunked down a pair of Audio Note AZ Two speakers driven by an M Zero tube pre and an Adcom (forget what model) 60 watt sand amp. Used cheap monster cable IC's and 18g zip cord. He was impressed. I wasn't.

Pulled the pre and Adcom and subbed an Audio Note Kit 4 (10watt pp 6V6 amp w/vol pot). better overall tone, somewhat better bass extension and impact. He was more impressed. I could at least stand it.

Subbed in AN Lexus interconnects and speaker cable. Huuuge change in bass impact, midrange intelligibility, imaging.

It has stood as such ever since. Now he has his friends over to watch movies (Fast and Furious, XMen, etc), then tells them about the 10 watt amp.

Previous Topic: Pi 2 Towers.....help
Next Topic: Impressions of 21" Martinelli horn?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 19:31:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio