Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Corner pi speakers
Corner pi speakers [message #45556] Wed, 13 October 2004 17:40 Go to next message
Waxahachie is currently offline  Waxahachie
Esquire
A friend has a pair of your pi corner speakers and I am surprised at the simplicity. I thought they had a long passage between the woofer and the exit slots on the side but I looked around back and could see the woofer. Can you explain the way this works, and compare it with other designs? Thanks in advance, Wax

Re: Corner pi speakers [message #45557 is a reply to message #45556] Wed, 13 October 2004 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tightwad is currently offline  Tightwad
Baron
Wayne has a post where he explains it all, but I can't find it.

Basically, his design uses the corner of the room as a conical horn. Other corner horn designs (Klipschorn, Jensen Imperial, etc) use more complicated horn expansions, but still use the corner of the room as the final expansion.

The last couple pages in Wayne's Pi-Align white paper show the design. Quite simple, just a ported enclosure, but rear firing, as you saw at your buddy's house.

I see the design as a hybrid between bass reflex and horn loading. Basically, an intelligent use of room geometry, provided you have the right kind of space. Because of the corner placement, you get full coverage of the entire room, and the first reflections are the opposite walls and/or ceiling.

Re: Corner pi speakers [message #45558 is a reply to message #45556] Wed, 13 October 2004 20:06 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's a good question, thanks for asking. And Tightwad is right that it has been discussed here a lot. It has been discussed enough that search results for "cornerhorn" bring back a pretty long list of posts. So it isn't surprising that Tightwad couldn't find the exact discussion he was thinking about. But here are a few of my favorites:
To summarize, I'd pretty much agree with Tightwad's description of the π cornerhorn. Technically speaking, the expansion of a room from the apex of a corner forms a conical horn with the same area expansion rate as a 70° rectangular horn up until the ceiling junction, where the expansion becomes parabolic. The motor chamber is vented, so you could say that it is a large conical horn with a vented rear-chamber.

I think the advantages are pretty obvious. The cabinet is much easier to build and service, and resonances caused by the wood and chambers formed by it are avoided. The lower vocal throatiness you'll hear on some cornerhorn designs is not present in the π cornerhorn. Also, since the midrange and tweeter horns have 90° horizontal dispersion, there is no midrange wall slap because the pattern is contained within. Horizontal dispersion of all sound sources matches, so sound distribution through the entire listening area is uniform.

Previous Topic: Studio 2 Port info?
Next Topic: rear loaded corner horns
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:13:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout