Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Is Pi for me
Re: 4 Pi Theater vs Stage vs Premium vs Thermionic [message #45252 is a reply to message #45251] Tue, 24 August 2004 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crazy Dave is currently offline  Crazy Dave
Viscount
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info! With regard to the Detalites, I was thinking about doing something with a 10" Detalite and a BMS HD540ND, crossed over at 2.2KHz. I think it might make a nice managable sized speaker. My tinking is that the 10" should not be beaming too much at 2.2KHz and that would be a good crossover for the BMS. The only downside I see is that I would have to pad the BMS down alot. If I wanted to do your 4 ohm thing, I could do an MTM (really a WTW) and that would save me 3db on the pad. I never thought that there might be a benefit to running a 4 ohm woofer with an 8 ohm compression driver but I did know that JBL used to run 16 ohm compression drivers with 8 ohm woofers. Do tube amps like this kind of load? I use both tube and transistor, being a vintage collector.

I asked about the JBL because, even though it is a big driver it works in a small cabinet. There are also a lot of them out there, so I might be able to get a pair cheep.

Dave

Re: 4 Pi Theater vs Stage vs Premium vs Thermionic [message #45255 is a reply to message #45252] Tue, 24 August 2004 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hi Dave,

If you can snatch up a 2226 for good price, you'll fall in love with it. low, med, or high volume. It's just a great all around driver and it's clean and pure.

The Deltalite should be a great driver for your arrangment. I am wanting to do the same thing when time permits. The 4540nd crossed over at 2.2 is perfect. I have been more partial to an MMT instead of the MTM. Either way should be good.

You'll need a pair of the 10" because the sensetivity on the 10 is less than you would like. I would wire them in parallel so you have a 4ohm woofer.

Tubes? hard for me to say. in most cases a true 8ohm load might be better for 'most' amps, as a generalized statement. Using a 4ohm load for a woofer with a passive crossover and an 8ohm load for the tweeter is not as harsh a scenario as a true 4ohm designed speaker.

Bill

Re: 4 Pi Theater vs Stage vs Premium vs Thermionic [message #45259 is a reply to message #45255] Wed, 25 August 2004 09:28 Go to previous message
Crazy Dave is currently offline  Crazy Dave
Viscount
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the advice! MMT looks better and allows more flexibility with floor loading.

Dave

Previous Topic: woofers for sub horn
Next Topic: How much power can my 4 pi premium take?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 10:55:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio