Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Looking for veneer tips for my Pis
Looking for veneer tips for my Pis [message #44949] Tue, 13 July 2004 08:53 Go to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master

Anways I am ready to finish my Pi speakers , the boxes are prepped and ready to get veneered.
This time I ordered a few sheets of 10 Mil paperbacked veneer from Tape Ease in hopes I will be successful this time.

I have read of a few of you guys that use glue and an iron but i'd rather use contact cement.

Anyhow these are fairly big at ~ 30" x 14" x 18" so there
is plenty of room for error. :-)

1. will I have issues with the veneer sticking to the PCV ports? They are perfectly flush with the baffle.

2. Tape-Ease says that trimming is best done with a utlility knife ...last time I did trim this way and
the wood splintered. / How long after applying should
you trim? I always trim my laminate right away.

Thats all for now..I expect to start veneering next weekend so I have several days to consider it and come up with a plan.

I'd appreciate some tips or tricks on how to best tackle this job.

The cabinets have been sanded down to 120 grit and were washed with water and a rag afterwards.

Re: Looking for veneer tips for my Pis [message #44951 is a reply to message #44949] Tue, 13 July 2004 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
I have a whole book devoted to this subject, but out of curiosity I did a 'veneering tips' Google search and lo n' behold, the first link was Tape Ease, so considering this is the brand you bought, it seems reasonable to me to just follow their instructions WRT to prepping for the material you used, etc..

GM

Re: Looking for veneer tips for my Pis [message #44954 is a reply to message #44949] Tue, 13 July 2004 17:20 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Run this by the guys on the Craftsmen forum too. A lot of them check this forum from time to time, but just in case, I'd make a post there.

Previous Topic: the problem is tougher than I thought!!
Next Topic: bass reflex tube
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 09 18:10:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout