Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Integration of mid and sub into theater 4's
Integration of mid and sub into theater 4's [message #44347] Fri, 09 April 2004 09:05 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi Wayne: Can you give us the short version of how the mid-horn and the sub can be integrated into a pair of theater 4's? Also for info the DIY Cable site has very high wattage class D sub amps on sale for a good price, they weigh 30lbs and are a true 1000watts for 329.00$ which is 1/2 price off original, built in xover I believe. Thanks.

Re: Integration of mid and sub into theater 4's [message #44350 is a reply to message #44347] Fri, 09 April 2004 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Honestly, I'm not sure I would use a midhorn with a pair of Theater four π's, but that's just me. I like their simplicity, and I love their sound.

But what I'd do to implement one would be to run the midrange horn without a crossover, sort of like a full range driver. Just pad it to match the rest of the system. Leave your tweeter crossover in place, and mount the midhorn just above or just below the tweeter, with mouths flush. Replace the woofer's crossover components and move the frequency down to 200Hz.

Re: Integration of mid and sub into theater 4's [message #44354 is a reply to message #44350] Fri, 09 April 2004 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I see your point and to be honest I kinda thought the same thing but they do look good! Back to the plan, two way bi-amp w/sub. El 84 is 90% done all wired up with new matched 84's on order. Now these guys have come out with a beautiful board that mimics the old Eico el 34 or kt 88 monoblocks with 12au7 drivers and 6sn7 phase splitters for a healthy 35 watts with light neg. feedback. There's my bass amps. Dirt cheap even with Hammond trannies. . Keep ya posted.

Re: Integration of mid [message #44357 is a reply to message #44350] Sat, 10 April 2004 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duncan McBride is currently offline  Duncan McBride
Baron
I'd really like to hear your thoughts on how the mid could be incorporated into an existing kit, perhaps the Stage or Pro 4pi, with the possibility of adding the 10pi horn at a later time. It seems to me that I could build the Stage or Pro 4pi enclosure just for the woofer as it is incorporated into the 10pi horn, and mount the tweeter in a separate horn as it is in the audiophile 7pi. I could use this as a 2-way until I could afford the 2102's and mid-horn. Ultimately when I had the space I could build the basshorn as an add-on to the 4pi bass enclosure and have two big stacks of horns. Is this a plan?

Re: Integration of mid [message #44359 is a reply to message #44357] Sat, 10 April 2004 15:41 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's pretty much what I had in mind too. I'll be more specific as time permits. But we're thinking along the same lines.

Previous Topic: Two pi tower dimensions
Next Topic: TEASER
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 01:58:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout