Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Updated Studio 2 Tower Construction Pix
Updated Studio 2 Tower Construction Pix [message #44144] Fri, 12 March 2004 11:28 Go to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Although it's not the greatest day here in lovely NW NJ -- very windy -- I ventured down to the garage/igloo to resume construction of my Studio 2 Towers.

I've decided on overkill: double front baffles (1 1/2" total)and four windowpane (if that's the right term) braces per cabinet: one between the tweeter and woofer, and three more between the woofer and the 5" round port (thanks, Wayne!), which I'm placing on the front. The maximum space between any two braces is about 10".

Because the braces are the same size as the cabinet tops and bottoms, I cut them at the same time and with the same fence settings on my trusty Ryobi BT3100, which I love. I'm happy to report that they fit perfectly. I have no idea whether it will make an audible difference, but I rounded over the interior brace edges to make sure there were no sharp projections.

Come to think of it, maybe I'll round over the inside edges of the driver cutouts. Am I crazy? Any other tips/suggestions?

Can you believe it -- I've run out a glue! What a pain.

Some pictures of the construction process to date are at the link below.

Re: Updated Studio 2 Tower Construction Pix [message #44145 is a reply to message #44144] Fri, 12 March 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Looks like they're coming right along!

Are you planning to route the baffles for flush mount drivers?

Re: Updated Studio 2 Tower Construction Pix [message #44148 is a reply to message #44145] Sat, 13 March 2004 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Wayne,

Absolutely, both drivers will be flush mounted. Thanks again for your help.

like the bracing concept... [message #44149 is a reply to message #44144] Sat, 13 March 2004 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HenryW is currently offline  HenryW
Baron
If not patented, I will use on my project...

Nice job.

Re: Updated Studio 2 Tower Construction Pix [message #44153 is a reply to message #44148] Sat, 13 March 2004 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sounds like your speakers are going to look absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for continuing to show your progress with the photo updates.

No Patent Here! [message #44154 is a reply to message #44149] Sun, 14 March 2004 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I'm sure I came across the idea on someone's web site, just can't remember whose. What I like about it is that it's virtually foolproof, provided you cut the braces at the same time as, and with the same settings used for, the top and bottom of the box.

Re: Ahem......... [message #44160 is a reply to message #44154] Tue, 16 March 2004 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Which of course I borrowed from someone else...........

And A Few More . . . [message #44162 is a reply to message #44153] Tue, 16 March 2004 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I'm getting soft in my old age. It was too cold Sunday to do much, but I glued in the braces, stapled in the insulation and biscuited, glued and clamped on one of the "inner" front baffles. I've posted some additional pictures of these steps.

I've decided I'm going to try something new (for me) for the outer front baffles: a piece of MDF, veneered, with outer 1" - 2" edges of solid hardwood, rounded over, all around. That way, I won't have to veneer the roundovers, which has caused me problems before. I don't have a jointer, but I'm hoping my Ryobi BT3100 will give me clean enough cuts that I'll be able to biscuit the edges to the MDF cleanly.

Now, if only it would stop snowing (!) and warm up!

Beautiful! [message #44163 is a reply to message #44160] Tue, 16 March 2004 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
There's nothing like a perfect box, is there? The cuts and joinery look flawless. What's the ETA? Where does the tweeter go?

Re: That became this: [message #44164 is a reply to message #44163] Tue, 16 March 2004 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

12" Titanic sub which is on the chopping block as Wayne has provided me with the 60"X19.5X19.5 design that will make it FLAT TO 16HZ!!!!!!!
Oh Yeah!

Previous Topic: More sorta 2Pi's already posted on ART-speakers
Next Topic: MAG12 Subwoofer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 11 12:18:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers