Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » budget eminence clone
budget eminence clone [message #43507] Tue, 30 December 2003 07:48 Go to next message
amature speaker builder o is currently offline  amature speaker builder o
Esquire
hi forum! i am planning to build a sub, but can't afford the eminence kilomax 15 i desire. this manufacturer appears to make a very similar speaker. it looks very similar, down to the heatsink. i would appreciate suggestions very much!

there is a samll english pdf for this speaker:

http://www.produktinfo.conrad.com/cgi-bin/dlc/dlc.cgi?art=300865&lang=DE

Type CPA 15-1000
(RMS) 1000 W
music power 3000 W
Impedance 8§?
20-2500 Hz
1W 1m 98 dB
cut out-¨ª 360 mm
external diameter-¨ª 404 mm
Qts 0.192
Qes 0.197
Qms 8.314
Vas 221,7 l

i do notice that t s stats are quite different from the eminence. Obviously the box will be a different size, but what else should i look out for?

thanks a lot guys!

Re: budget eminence clone [message #43511 is a reply to message #43507] Tue, 30 December 2003 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
Is this for live performances or home? There's no way you'll
need a 1000W, 97dB woofer for home. Pick a dollar figure and surf
through the Parts Epress web site/catalog and see what you can pick
from. PE has lots of choices including the sub amps. Run your
picks through the speaker design tools Wayne provides and pick the
one that best matches your needs.
I bought the 250W, non-remote amp for use with an off-model Eminence 15" I bought on eBay for $35, and I'm sure its not getting more than
20W-50W, and it drives us out of the room.

Chris

details... [message #43512 is a reply to message #43511] Tue, 30 December 2003 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
thanks for your comments chris! i love it loud at home, but no, not that loud! this is for small mobile disco use, for 200 - 500 people, occasionally more, generally indoors. i was hoping to use 4 of these or other 15" subs, the trouble is the cabs need to fit in my old audi 80, so size is an issue. and yes i hope to use wayne's programs, but i need to work out how to convert metric to imperial values

Re: budget eminence clone [message #43513 is a reply to message #43507] Tue, 30 December 2003 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The specs look good for a midwoofer, but I might reconsider use of this device for a subwoofer. It has high power handling capability and good efficiency, and those will probably make it excellent for midbass punch. Qts is low so your box size will be small, but that is also why it might not be best suited as a subwoofer. It may work well as a sub in an EBS alignment though - Grab a copy of BoxPlot and see.

Re: details... [message #43519 is a reply to message #43512] Tue, 30 December 2003 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
BoxPlot will accept either values and I think if you switch between
systems, it converts all the fields automatically. As for hauling
these, I think you should look into a trailer unless an Audi 80
is a station wagon. :^) Parts Express has a speaker selector
wizard on their web site. You enter your usage, size, box size,
etc, and it gives you a list of speakers that are close. At least
it narrows the list down. To keep the size down, consider some
12" drivers.
Chris

Re: details... [message #43525 is a reply to message #43519] Wed, 31 December 2003 08:23 Go to previous message
Esquire
the trailer is a matter of money. will get one sometime next year, finances allowing. the car is a saloon, i could fit 4 4cubic foot subs in the back - carefully, with seats folded down. maybe i should get the eminence kappa 15 lfa, seems right for a compact sub. won't have the power hadling i hoped for, seems very suitable though. i can't see any reason i should get the cast frame version, maybe i should as the price is very close. thanks for your responses, oyou've cetainly given me food for thought!

Previous Topic: Parthenon
Next Topic: Some Pics of Bill E's refurbished cabs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 18 13:24:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout