Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Theater or Thermionic corner horn?
Theater or Thermionic corner horn? [message #43226] Sun, 30 November 2003 13:13 Go to next message
Grego is currently offline  Grego
Esquire
I'm just in the last stage of building my 6L6 SE power amp and am now planning my next project... speakers.

I've been looking at the 6 pi Theater and Themionic corner horns and wondering which would be the right way to go. The concern I have (beyond sound quality) is that the left speaker will only have a 4ft wall behind it (from the corner back left moving right has 47 inches of wall before an opening, I know they need at least 3 ft). With the different dimensions of the speakers would that have a noticable effect? I'm leaning to the theater 6 pi from the size alone (It's the second system in the room and want to keep family life good :)

With the SE tube amp + room dimensions which one would be the way to go? Are there any other suggestions?

I haven't seen much discussion regarding these speakers vs. room dimensions before.

Anyone want to comment about either of these speakers?

Thanks

Re: Theater or Thermionic corner horn? [message #43229 is a reply to message #43226] Sun, 30 November 2003 14:43 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The corner you have may or may not be suitable. I suspect that it is fine; If I interpreted your description right, you have almost 4 feet before the first opening. There are lots of happy π cornerhorn owners with much less optimal conditions than that.

As for selection of speakers, I'd suggest the Theater seven π because it is a conservative choice. I know it will work well with your amp. The Thermionic six π is also going to work well with your amplifier, and it is purpose-designed for tube amps, reminiscent of the sound of the forties and fifties. If you have the time and budget to experiment some, the Theater three π and the Stage seven π would be great to try, but they need a bit of drive to control the woofer properly.

Previous Topic: great new speakers
Next Topic: Hey, Wayne and Bill M!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 16 01:28:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout