Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Journal of a First-time Builder - Pt 4: Functioning Speakers x2!
Re: One of my favorite little two-way speakers [message #43137 is a reply to message #43134] Thu, 20 November 2003 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I've used this particular model of tweeter since 1977 - literally tens of thousands of them - and I've incorporated them with every conceivable electrical network from none to third order to contoured response-shaping filters. I've also tried many of the other piezoelectric tweeter models in this family, and this one was the hand-down winner for me, although I've not seriously investigated the newer larger, more powerful units. As for the family of Motorola tweeters that were introduced in the 70's, the KSN 1038/1041/1056 is by far the best, in my opinion.

Since the tweeter acts like a capacitor, inductance in the output stage of an amplifier can set up an oscillation. I've also had more than one experience where certain speaker motors generated back-EMF that chirped the tweeter. It is always a result of speakers with high mass and extremely low Qes - Woofers that require amplifier damping for "motor braking" control of the cone. If these are connected directly to the piezo, they'll make 'em chirp. So the bottom line is that this device presents a high impedance, capacitive load and if the output circuit requires a low impedance resistive and/or inductive load - as is expected of a motor circuit - then it may become sensitive to such a load. This isn't a problem in most cases, but it is something that an engineer would consider.

As for the acoustics of the KSN 1038 device, I find it to be quite pleasant. The KSN 1005, as I mentioned before, is the one that sounds like shattered glass. This isn't a result of the capacitive nature of the device at all, otherwise they would all do it. That sound is due to the shape of the KSN 1005 horn - specific to that horn - which creates a nasty peak in the upper vocal range and overemphasizes the overtones. The KSN 1038 uses a different horn, and so does not share this characteristic.

Piezos... [message #43141 is a reply to message #43133] Fri, 21 November 2003 02:44 Go to previous message
Magnus is currently offline  Magnus
Baron
I could not agree more with Wayne on this one. The KSN-1005 is a nasty little fellow, you think your head is going to implode when somebody hits the cymbal. I did a not too scientific measurement on the unit and it had quite a big output peak at around 5 kHz if I remember correctly. I have not used the KSN-1038 but KSN-1141 which I find quite a nice sounding unit. For the price you could probably not find better tweeters. But I replaced it with a titanium compression driver and horn and I am not going back...

Now a question to you Wayne, and others of course. What about horn-loaded ribbon tweeters? I know one unit (the Gamma VLD13) which uses this design, but are there others? Seems to me like a good way of combining the best of two worlds, at least at low SPL:s. I am too young to know much about all the weird acoustical devices developed in the 70's and 80's but it would be nice to know more about it.

/Magnus

Previous Topic: Woodfinishing experts...seeking advice
Next Topic: Pi seven internal volume
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 07:55:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers