Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Recent speaker project pics
Recent speaker project pics [message #43020] Thu, 13 November 2003 08:28 Go to next message
jlharden is currently offline  jlharden
Viscount
Here's a few pics of my recently assembled Voigt pipes. They are naked right now, as I didn't expect them to sound good enough to warrant a nice finish. Turns out they sound better than I could have imagined. They really give the illusion of a lot of width and depth, with precise placement of instruments and performers. Music never sounds congested. They really excell in tonality, instruments sound real! And the suprise is they are very dynamic sounding. They will really get up and go without getting edgy or strained. The Voight or TQWT is said to act like a combination of a transmission line and backloaded horn. I was extremely skeptical, but doubt their capabilities no more. They would never replace a big horn speaker system for me, but they will never embarrass themselves either. I'll soon be starting the Seven Pi Pro speakers that I've been gathering parts for, for many years now. In the meantime, I've "practiced" and had some fun. Good Hobby!
Look Good! [message #43024 is a reply to message #43020] Thu, 13 November 2003 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
but I've never seen a pair of Voigts with such a "squat" cabinet. Usually they're tall and slender! One thing you might try is adding a super tweeter rolled off with a .5 - 1uF cap. A Radio Shack 40-1310 added to my R.S. 40-1534 folded TQWT sounds pretty darn full-range with the tweeters really adding a vital quality to the sound! Sweet!

G.

Re: Recent speaker project pics [message #43025 is a reply to message #43020] Thu, 13 November 2003 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Wow - Jerrod - Those really do look stunning!
Re: Look Good! [message #43026 is a reply to message #43024] Thu, 13 November 2003 09:39 Go to previous message
jlharden is currently offline  jlharden
Viscount
Hi Garland!

Yes, they are squattier than most designs. That is intentional and is because of the particular parameters of the 40-1297 driver. Greg Monfort who posts as GM on the single driver forum came up with the plan. He is very knowledgable when it comes to ML_TL's, TQWP's, rearloaded horns, etc. Much like Wayne is here with the high power, low distortion 2-way and 3-way high efficiency and horn systems. It's a great time we live in to be able to exchange information and ideas so efficiently.
I've played with the supertweeters a bit with my 8" fullrangers, but not with the pipes yet. I'm afraid I could mess up a good thing. I might have to do some trial runs. I have two different RS piezos to experiment with. Thanks! Jerrod

Previous Topic: Thermio Seven Pi Pro (16 ohm x-over values)
Next Topic: Bi-wire tweak and Question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 02:41:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout