Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Norah Jones
Norah Jones [message #5109] Fri, 05 March 2004 22:42 Go to next message
Audio Jones is currently offline  Audio Jones
Chancellor

Give a listen to Norah Jones: come away with me. She's warm, rich and magical and you'll love her right away.

Re: Norah Jones [message #5110 is a reply to message #5109] Sun, 07 March 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Looks nice! I'll check her out!

Re: Norah Jones [message #5112 is a reply to message #5109] Sun, 07 March 2004 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Didnt care a lot for her first cd at all. I just watched the movie
Runaway Jurry which the closing song is a Bob Dylan tune by Norah Jones and its absolutely fantastic.

Am i the only one on the planet who does not like her voice or her lyrics? [message #5113 is a reply to message #5110] Mon, 08 March 2004 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi Everyone!
I don;t like her voice (too thin for me) i don;t like her vocal control... the tunes she sings are too simple, and i don't like her lyrics...too superficial and vague for me. Her songs remind me of the songs i used to write in eighth grade with a fellow "musical" friend..(and neither of us had/have ANY talent at all)....meaningless feel good lyrics.
However, my wife likes her voice. And so appraently do millions of others. Maybe I am a voice in the wilderness here.
I also do not like Patricia BArber.

Oh, i do really like Diana Krall, Shirley Horn, etc. So it's not that i don;t care for this type of music. And Diana Krall is white, so color can;t be a factor either.
ANy thoughts or views are welcome.
-akhilesh

Good music, bad movies, meandering ramblings [message #5115 is a reply to message #5113] Mon, 08 March 2004 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You like Jazz the best, don't you? Indian music too maybe?

I always liked art rock best. It is rock, but it is relatively complicated and energetic. It has heavy classical influence. Yes, Genesis and Gentle Giant are examples. But I have heard everything that each of them has done about two zillion times, so I've branched out into other types of music. Actually started doing that over a decade ago. Sometimes, I like to listen to 40's and 50's music, just for fun. It doesn't inspire me like the music favorites of my youth, but it is fun to listen to.

And on that "fun" theme, sometimes I like to listen to the very music I once turned my nose up at for being too simplistic. Stuff from the Talking Heads is a good example. But don't get the movie David Byrne did - True Stories - hoping it will be "fun". It is unbelievably stupid. Kinda fun to watch an early performance of John Goodman in it though. I can't remember if it predates "Roseanne" or not, but it's from back then - in the mid-80's.

Why is it that all movies made by musicians are incredibly stupid? Remember the Monkee's "Head"? And they were even actors before musicians and the movie was still way stupid. How 'bout the Madonna movies? Prince's "Purple Rain"? Or "Glitter" by Mariah Carey? Do you know of any movies made by musicians that were any good? Could this post have possibly rambled any more?

Re: Good music, bad movies, meandering ramblings [message #5116 is a reply to message #5115] Mon, 08 March 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hey Wayne,
I Like most types of music, depending on the mood....classical, jazz, sometimes indian classical (there are many types), rap, country, pop..

they are all good.
But within each genre i have likes & dislikes, and while i do like the genre that nora jones plays in...(the 3-4 instrument jazz ensemble with vocals) i find her not be a talent at all...at least compared to others like diana krall (amazing voice, decent piano, wisely sings old classics) and shirley horn (amazing voice & arrangements, knows that silence is a part of a passage, decent piano, also sings old classics).

Movies by musicians: i agree with you. did you see the JAzz singer....neil diamond in a major narcissistic role? Music & movies are so different, that;s probably why musicians can;t make good movies.

The only GOOD music move i say was: "The Last Waltz" made by Martin Scorcese...about the band's last concert. That is a GOOD flick.

-akhilesh

P.s> "that song of Nora Jones: "Don;t know why you didn;t come"...is that some kinda tongue in cheek lyric...or am i giving her WAYY too much credit for any kind of "sophistication"?

Re: Akhilesh, Dude! [message #5117 is a reply to message #5116] Mon, 08 March 2004 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You're so right.
I can't help but put Nora Jones in the context of daughters and daughters friends and she's a GEEK! HOWYADOIN? is the way to open a concert? And that T-Shirt! Pleasant voice. Crossover to C&W okay. Jazz? I don't think so.
Jazz is Diana, Christian and Jeff cookin' on Nat King Cole Favs with Anthony Wilson riffin! (Talk about a geek!)
The New York Times, all the news that's print to fit, loves Tierney Sutton. Have you heard her? As much emotion as the woman that announces arrivals and departures at your local train station.
And the 'Last Waltz"..........Yeah!
How about 'Union Station' Live in Loiusville. My 'New Favorite'.

Glad to know i am not alone here! Will check out union station [message #5119 is a reply to message #5117] Tue, 09 March 2004 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
What kind of music do they play?

Re: Norah Jones [message #5120 is a reply to message #5109] Wed, 10 March 2004 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Audio Jones is currently offline  Audio Jones
Chancellor
She's a dream to me, a real darling.

Re: Am i the only one on the planet who does not like her voice or her lyrics? [message #5123 is a reply to message #5113] Thu, 11 March 2004 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
She takes way too much from Julie London. Early Rosemary Clooney with the trio, now that is singing! Shirley Horn, a genius. Here's one if you like and respect real jazz; Carol Sloane, if you can find it, theres one with Stan Getz that is real nice and another with Bud Shank. Try Live at Thirtieth Street,Its mono but great sound. The newest is one of the best female jazz records, called "Love You Madly", it has Art Farmer,Kenny Burrell,Clifford Jordan,and Kenny Barron, definately the A-list.Contemporary Records c-14049. How come no one mentions "Dusty In Memphis"? One of the finest,listen to it at least once a week.

Previous Topic: Doctor Detroit!!!
Next Topic: No Quarter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 08:19:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout