Home » Audio » General » Big Changes - Forum Software Update
Big Changes - Forum Software Update [message #5082] Tue, 12 May 2009 21:59 Go to next message
admin
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Administrator

Pretty soon, we'll be shifting forum software. We'll be gaining a lot of new features as a result of this change, but it does have a new look and feel. Most of you are probably already pretty comfortable with the newer forums, so this should be no big deal.

One thing that will change is your password. We store passwords as a hash that cannot be decrypted so the existing passwords will be lost. In order to make the transition as smooth as possible, everyone that has posted will be given a new login with the same username they've been posting with. The password is initially set to "art". It is suggested that you change your password as soon as possible.

You can get a look at the new forum at AudioRoundTable.com/forum. For right now, it is being used for last minute development work. You'll see our forums installed there sometimes, but other times you'll see nothing there. I'm working on the conversion script, getting it to import all our messages and users. We definitely do not want to lose any data, and we want the conversion to be as painless and seamless as possible.

I do not suggest posting in the new forum while the old forum is still active. Until we go "live", any data placed in the new forum will probably be lost. I am doing a code/break/fix test cycle on the conversion script and each time I run it, I look at the data and then wipe it out. So you'll see various forums come and go.

Once we've moved to the new forum, all the links on the main page will point to the new forum. You won't be able to post in the old forum anymore. That's how you'll know it's time to reset your password and start posting in the new forum. We'll make a post to announce it as well.

TESTERS NEEDED [message #5083 is a reply to message #5082] Thu, 14 May 2009 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
admin
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Administrator

We could use some "eyes on" the new forum and the conversions. I've done a lot of work tailoring the conversion scripts so they would bring over all the existing posts and users. I'm pretty happy with it so far. There are a few formatting changes, things like images getting put in different places than they were in the original post, things like that. That's a small price to pay to move the posts over, in my opinion. We'll retain the originals in archives, because there are lots of links (all over the internet) that point to them. But by importing all posts into the new forum database, we gain a measure of consistency through the years. I like that and I hope you all will too.

What I need is for as many of you as possible to search through the posts to find any bugs you can. Try out the forum, make posts, update your user information and modify your password. Just play with it and see what it will do. Let me know if you find any broken links or other problems. Write to me at webmaster@audioroundtable.com and I'll maintain a defects list and either fix them or deal with them in some way.

I've only uploaded a few forums, just enough to test with. This isn't a permanent move yet - so don't post important stuff in the new forum. Make test posts if you want, change account info, learn the user interface, navigation and things like that. We'll delete it all and reload from the archives in a few days after we've had time to evaluate the existing data load. I just want to see if I can identify any more problems and fix them before doing the final conversions and turning off the old forum.

MOVE is COMPLETE [message #59265 is a reply to message #5083] Mon, 18 May 2009 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
admin
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Administrator
The move from the old style format to the new forum is complete.

Sorry for the delay -- the import process was more time consuming than expected.

Your account has been moved but it has been reassigned a new default password: art. Login with this password on your first time. You'll probably want to change your password to make it more secure. This can be done from the Control Panel. Might take a minute to look around at the new features too.

Enjoy!
Re: MOVE is COMPLETE [message #59285 is a reply to message #59265] Thu, 21 May 2009 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aki is currently offline  Aki
Baron
The new forum looks great!

Congratulations on job well done, Wayne.
So far - so good! [message #59348 is a reply to message #59285] Sun, 07 June 2009 09:31 Go to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I like the feature that allows me to post pics from my pc instead of a hosting website which I do not have.

Regards, Ron index.php?t=getfile&id=13&private=0
Previous Topic: CD Storage
Next Topic: Muse got her new listening chair today
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:53:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers