Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Damping 511B ringing: Whats your experience?
As usual, we have the answers........ [message #41274 is a reply to message #41227] Thu, 08 May 2003 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
.........See the bottom of the page "third party sources"; the 3 articles by Jim Dickinson.
I knew I had them somewhere but been busy selling stuff and preparing to scarf a new DVD/SACD player
Answers found! Thanks [message #41275 is a reply to message #41274] Thu, 08 May 2003 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AstroSonic is currently offline  AstroSonic
Baron
Bill,
In the article on the small VOTT's, in the section on improving the horns, the first solution done by Altec was to place foam between the webs...that would be the 'fins' of the current discussion, and the foam was placed where the weld on the earlier models was right? The latex paint and sand idea also sounds like it would be very effective. Would you say that either method by itself would be sufficient? I had run into that article a few years ago and had forgotten how informative and useful it was.
Thanks again.
AstroSonic
Re: Answers found! Thanks [message #41276 is a reply to message #41275] Thu, 08 May 2003 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AskBill is currently offline  AskBill
Esquire
As I just wrote to the other Bill, these damned Towers are like a bad houseguest and I don't have time for the Altecs. But I do recall mixing sand and latex paint to coat sandboxes for VPI turntables years ago. It would take a lot of sand to get dampening and you'd have to put it on with a trowel. Speaking of which, what about using Thin Set for ceramic flooring? heavy as hell, trowels on thick, flexible and you can add dye.
There ya' go.
Oh yeah, the fins are indeed the webs. Just use an angle grinder and as already posted, remove only the welds, fill the gaps with any silicone caulk and paint. With thin-set!
Thanks (nt) [message #41280 is a reply to message #41268] Fri, 09 May 2003 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Re: Yes, Dynamat Xtreme [message #41291 is a reply to message #41263] Sun, 11 May 2003 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
and it's great. I've put it in my CDP and damped speakers with it- noticeable improvement every place I've used it and it's very clean and easy to work with. Also works in higher temps than many other damping products. Assume the 3M product is similar. Recommend it highly.
Re: Yes, Dynamat Xtreme [message #41310 is a reply to message #41291] Mon, 12 May 2003 14:29 Go to previous message
AstroSonic is currently offline  AstroSonic
Baron
Hey, good to hear about your positive experience with these types of products (constrained-layer damping material). I wonder if you would give some detail on your use of dynamat in digital players. It's off topic here so respond via email me or post in the digital forum on the Asylum) See my 511B Ringing Update, above for my very positive experience with Dynamat xtreme.
Regards,
AstroSonic
Previous Topic: Where can I Buy some nice BIG CD horns???
Next Topic: MAF photos
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 16:04:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout