Home » Audio » LSAF » LSAF 2008 - Show Coverage, Seminar Recordings, Slideshows and Handouts
Re: Axisymmetrical horns [message #4880 is a reply to message #4877] Sat, 17 May 2008 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
Excellent question!

It's a trade-off. Yes there is vertical lobing in the crossover region, but the power response takes only a minor dip at worst. Most listening is from far enough back that the vertical lobing in the crossover region isn't obvious when you go from sitting to standing, probably because the vertical pattern at high frequencies is pretty uniform. Indeed, I've had speaker designers remark unprompted that they can't hear the crossover. Having a round pattern puts more energy into the reverberant field than a rectangular pattern of the same width, but at the expense of increased floor and ceiling bounce energy. I don't know which is the ideal way for that trade-off to go.

Another reason for my choice is, the DDS waveguide is available over-the-counter and comes close enough to what I'd ideally want that I can work with it. The cost of having a custom waveguide (perhaps a bispheroidal) designed and molded and manufactured is beyond reach of my R&D budget at this point. That being said, one day I'd like to do a system with an oval-patterned device, perhaps a bispheroidal. It would look embarassingly like a 4Pi!

Duke

Re: Axisymmetrical horns [message #4883 is a reply to message #4880] Sun, 18 May 2008 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, most everything is a trade-off. Very few things optimize more than one parameter at the same time. But I think the rectangular flare in this case is a win-win deal because the lobes help punctuate the vertical pattern. If the lobes limit the uniform radiation angle anyway, it's nice to use them to your advantage.

Re: Axisymmetrical horns [message #4886 is a reply to message #4883] Tue, 20 May 2008 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
Good point - I hadn't thought of that.

Another advantage of a rectangular horn is that you can go to a TMM (or would that be HWW?) format and get vertical as well as horizontal symmetry. I tried modelling symmetrical MTM (WHW?) cnofigurations but unless the crossover is quite low (or the horn too narrow in the vertical plane to maintain reasonable pattern control) the woofers end up too far apart and their vertical lobe is too narrow, in my opinion. Of course you'll still have the inevitable vertical pattern "pinch" at the crossover frequency.

Have you done any dual-woofer speakers? I don't recall seeing any, but then presumably not everything that happens in the lah-BORE-ah-TORE-ee enters your product line-up.

By the way, best of luck with your heat-pipe patent!

Duke

Re: Axisymmetrical horns [message #4887 is a reply to message #4886] Tue, 20 May 2008 18:41 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There's a similar configuration I like a lot. Some call it a 2.5 way speaker. It's not done for midrange directionality though, it's done for low midrange and bass quality. With two sound sources operating in the deep bass range, floor bounce and room modes are smoothed. The lower woofer is crossed over pretty low, leaving only the upper woofer to cover the midrange. It's a good idea, in my opinion.

The way I implement such a system is to put a subwoofer below or near a three or four π loudspeaker. I know this is something you're familiar with. Having them separate lets the user have some configurability. That way you can put the subwoofer off to the side a foot, and the mains on a short stand, so the midwoofer is in a different location in all three planes. Overlap them through the bass range for best smoothing.

Another way I implement something similar is in the π cornerhorns. The woofer is low enough to the ground that it doesn't suffer floor bounce. The midhorn doesn't suffer floor bounce because of blending with the woofer. Its response is low enough to smooth some of the higher modal range. Subs can also be added to this configuration to further smooth the lower modal range.

Previous Topic: LSAF 2008 Pictures
Next Topic: Dagogo coverage of LSAF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:21:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout