Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » finally got photos of my beauty (seven pi theater series)
finally got photos of my beauty (seven pi theater series) [message #38782] Tue, 22 October 2002 13:59 Go to next message
replicant808 is currently offline  replicant808
Esquire
got around to FINALLY building a pi corner horn after a year or so of looking into it, and finding a way to make one of the big ones fit in my living room ;-) anyhow...i recently switched over to a MONO ONLY system. yup...i know it sounds crazy, but the setup sounds great! i listen to a lot of old mono jazz records, and that is probably what got me into it...but i have found that stereo recordings sound almost BETTER through this rig! no joke. plus...i have some nice grado headphones for when i REALLY need to listen to stereo...or if i am listening at night, as the pi likes to play really loud ;-)

anyhow...thanks wayne! i think it is great what you do, and the amount of help you give. you have answered countless questions...and the final product speaks to your great designs.

the speaker was built with birch ply, and finished with some strips of solid wenge to cover the screws. i have found it is a nice alternative to veneering (which takes way longer). then...i just rub the whole thing with danish oil (natural), and finish off with some shellac. the look suits this speaker.

as for construction...all of it was "screwed and glued". i used gorilla glue (best way to go!!) and wood screws about every 6". i know...overkill, but that never hurt anything ;-) the crossover was made with high grade parts, and configured for passive bi-amping with a single stereo amplifier. just switch the pre to mono...and feed the left to highs and the right to lows (or visa versa), making sure that the crossovers are built seperately. works like a charm. plus...if you want to "EQ" it a bit...just mess with the balance ;-) i have found that it sounds best flat (naturally)...but just in case.

ok...enough yappin! here is the photo:

Excellent! [message #38785 is a reply to message #38782] Tue, 22 October 2002 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's excellent! I really love your speaker!

Great job, man!

Speaker....he's mono man...(hehehehehe) [message #38787 is a reply to message #38785] Tue, 22 October 2002 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
I was wonder how you keep your stuff from flying off your 7Pi's?
Looking good
Kelly
which garden hose speaker wire is shown... [message #38788 is a reply to message #38782] Tue, 22 October 2002 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
in the picture? hey! nice job on the cabinets.

cheers,

george

So THATS where the Wild Things are! [message #38794 is a reply to message #38782] Wed, 23 October 2002 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Nice big expanse of wood with a horn in it. Who'd a thunk a huge powerful sound would be coming from that? The hidden bass driver is one of the nice things about the Theater 7 I think.
Good job, and I agree about the mono. One Theater 7 will kick many a stereo pairs butt.

John

Re: Speaker....he's mono man...(hehehehehe) [message #38813 is a reply to message #38787] Thu, 24 October 2002 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
the plant seems to keep them *roughly* in order ;-)
Re: which garden hose speaker wire is shown... [message #38815 is a reply to message #38788] Thu, 24 October 2002 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
thanks about the cabinet! as for the cable...it is van den hul magnum. not really garden hose, per se. it is two 8ga, runs seperated by about 3/4 of an inch...but "flat" otherwise. i have two pair wire-tied together...so it looks larger than it is. you can buy it per meter from folks in holland for pretty cheap, then terminate as you wish. sounds great too ;-)

Re: So THATS where the Wild Things are! [message #38816 is a reply to message #38794] Thu, 24 October 2002 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
i know...that is why i love it! friends come over, and have no idea what is going on...until i have them peer around the corner ;-) hehehe

as for the figures...i bought them a while ago (some were hard to find)...and they sat in my office collecting dust. just "re-found" them when cleaning, and thought they would look right at home up there!

Re: finally got photos of my beauty (seven pi theater series) [message #38838 is a reply to message #38782] Fri, 25 October 2002 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLM is currently offline  JLM
Viscount
Your speaker looks so cool!

And mono is so retro! (Saves money too.)

Wouldn't overwhelm the room.

Does it dictate a listening sweet spot?

Going mono helps explain the history of big horns.

that's the beauty of it [message #38914 is a reply to message #38838] Mon, 04 November 2002 04:57 Go to previous message
Esquire
well...that is the real beauty about this (and one of the main reasons i tried it out). think about it...what are speakers trying to do?! they try to recreate sound from the closest to a point source as possible. hence...when there is only one...that point is obvious. with the single seven pi...it sounds about the same (really good) from about anywhere in the room! my next project is building a tannoy autograph cabinet (VERY complex...i'm presently putting together a miniature bristol board model to figure it out better)...and that way i can see what a COAXIAL mono horn will sound like (plus the autographs look cool too) ;-) i read an article somewhere a while back about stereo just being a way for audio companies to sell you more gear.

really made me think! if speakers from the "golden age" really sound that great (and they do)...it made me think they were right on everything (mono vs. stereo included) ;-)

Previous Topic: Now Playing.....2Pi's
Next Topic: Is there a Pi that can be used as a bass unit?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 07 04:14:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio