Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Building 2pi Towers - COMPLETE!
Re: Building 2pi Towers - COMPLETE! [message #38717 is a reply to message #38707] Fri, 18 October 2002 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Room modes in the basement are probably the culprit, actually. Try your system upstairs in the living room and you'll probably find that it sounds much different.

Basements have rigid walls, and that make room modes strong and well-defined. It's almost impossible to get smooth bass in a room like that. My suggestion is to add false walls with framed drywall panels having insulation inside them. The bass will vibrate the panels, so they absorb energy which damps the room modes. Basement walls are usually highly reflective at MF/HF frequencies too, so sound is sometimes too sibilant, even harsh. You may want to add absorbent wedges on the damper panels to reduce MF/HF reflections.

Most North American homes have framed drywall construction which actually goes a long way towards damping room modes. As a result, the acoustics in most rooms aren't terrible, with a couple of exceptions - basements and rooms with raised hardwood floors. As I said above, basements usually have strong room modes that are poorly damped. The other culprit is raised hardwood floors with a crawlspace underneath for access to pipes and what not. The crawlspace acts as a resonator and often causes response anomalies worse than the room modes. In essesnse, it creates two sets of room modes that are tightly coupled, and the modes in the crawlspace are severe because it is rigid and poorly damped.

Bass Bonanza [message #38745 is a reply to message #38688] Sun, 20 October 2002 07:20 Go to previous message
Fresno is currently offline  Fresno
Baron
I put my pre-amp back in and the bass rocked! Thanks for your help troubleshooting but I was pretty sure the missing pre-amp was the culprit, I was loading 1 experiment (no pre-amp) on top of an other change (new speakers).

I took pictures of the speakers ('cause I'm pretty proud of how they look) and I'll post them here soon.

Previous Topic: Horns Length, Frequency Wave Lengths, And, All That Good Stuff
Next Topic: How long would a 2-3/4" diameter port be for Studio 2pi?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 19:38:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio