Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » damping a H290 Horn
damping a H290 Horn [message #38670] Wed, 16 October 2002 07:03 Go to next message
cloud is currently offline  cloud
Esquire
wayne, can you tell me how to damp a horn
Re: damping a H290 Horn [message #38678 is a reply to message #38670] Wed, 16 October 2002 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
I used the white sticky stuff that is used to plug up holes in air conditioners and stuff like that. It's sold by refrigeration supply companies. One pound did both my H290's. Just pull a 1" ball from the big clump and kneeded(sp) around till I had a 1/8"-1/4" layer over the horn, worked well. Much deader after I was done.
Kelly
Mechanical damping of horn flares [message #38679 is a reply to message #38670] Wed, 16 October 2002 11:28 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Like Kelly said, some people like to surround their horns with damping material around the bell. This adds mass and acts like a shock absorber to lower the resonant frequency and attenuate ringing.

Metal horns sometimes ring if the flare is highly tensioned. So the best way to damp a horn in this case is to reduce tension. Cut the horn - the section dividers - and this destresses the bell and damps it. This is similar to the way bells that are cracked don't ring anymore, which is exactly what we want in this situation.

Previous Topic: where do they store all the Pi speaker Photos?
Next Topic: Still more Theater 4 tweaking...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 17 11:51:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio