Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » One More Pro Series 7 Pi-18 Question
One More Pro Series 7 Pi-18 Question [message #38565] Sat, 05 October 2002 18:28 Go to next message
GJP60 is currently offline  GJP60
Esquire
Hi Wayne,

Last question (I hope), back on 06/02/02 you wrote: " What I do in all my enclosures, and what I recommend to those that build their own bass-reflex cabinets, is to put insulation on the back, bottom and on one side. In the case of π Speakers that I build, it's always the side wall nearest the port. And for this purpose, R13 insulation is inexpensive and perfectly suited so that's what I always use."

I'm assuming this includes the Pro Series 7 Pi-18's. From doing a search, and from what I remember reading in the past, was that the insulation should be around 2 inches thick. Does this still hold true? It seems everywhere I look, R13 comes in a standard thickness of 3 1/2 inches.

Gerry Provenzale

One More Pro Series 7 Pi-18 Answer [message #38566 is a reply to message #38565] Sat, 05 October 2002 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You're right - The standard thickness of uncompressed R13 is something like 3.5" and R11 is something like 3". In practice, they're both very similar. When it is on the roll, it's compressed down to about an inch, but after removal, it quickly expands to about 2-3"

That's the stuff you want.

Re: One More Pro Series 7 Pi-18 Answer [message #38568 is a reply to message #38566] Sun, 06 October 2002 05:42 Go to previous message
GJP60 is currently offline  GJP60
Esquire
Thanks again Wayne. Your reply eliminates the last hurdle for me. I gave the Pi 800a012dB crossover with Zobel damper (R3-8ohms C5-60uF) a test run yesterday. The 2445J drivers were mounted to the 2380A horns and resting on my workbench. The 2241H's were mounted to the "detached" back-panel and leaning against the bench. My impression was very, very favorable. They sounded so good that I let them play all day, which caused me to delay gluing the back-panels to the cabinets. As a result, I'm further convinced now that if I stay within your box-design specifications (damping, bracing, port tube size, etc...) these speakers are going to be a real winner.

Gerry Provenzale

Previous Topic: Pro Series 7 Pi-18 questions
Next Topic: Building 2 Pi Towers - Part 1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 18 18:25:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers