Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Thanks for the great service
Thanks for the great service [message #38185] Thu, 05 September 2002 11:32 Go to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne,
I received my alpha 10's along with the tower plans and Pi logo's. Everything wash packed 1st class, I am very pleased. I noticed that you show the picture of the tower's in the corner, is that part of extension to 30hz???? Just wanted to thank you for the great service. I have to get some moving jobs done with the kids going back to college and all, but when I am done, it is time to build speakers. Thanks, Ron
Warehouse space [message #38187 is a reply to message #38185] Thu, 05 September 2002 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm glad your kits arrived in good shape and you're pleased with them.

You don't need to put tower two π speakers in corners but some like them that way. I have mine against a wall, each about 3 feet from a corner. They're actually pulled away from the wall about 6 inches so the port can breathe. They sound great, and bass is deep and clean.

Hey, by the way, I just signed a lease on a new warehouse, so π Speakers now has warehouse space with an attached shop and an office for listening. Soon as I get signs up and I've started moving in, I'll post some pictures. I'm hoping to evolve the office space into a nice boutique listening area. So come visit when you can!

Re: Warehouse space [message #38188 is a reply to message #38187] Thu, 05 September 2002 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wanna go into a joint venture with me to start a night club? :P

Adam

Re: Warehouse space [message #38189 is a reply to message #38188] Thu, 05 September 2002 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
[grin]
Re: Warehouse space [message #38190 is a reply to message #38189] Thu, 05 September 2002 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
My plans for the bass horns have gone totally on hold. I still want to do it, but I am no longer sure of the practicality of them. I want to build a pair each sporting a pair of either JBL 2242's or CV Stroker 18's. My newest plans for the horn construction is to build a thin, hollow shell frame for the walls of the horn using sheets of formica and MDF or plywood studs, then filling the cavities with expanding foam. This would really lighten the whole thing up, and I don't think it would cost a lot more. Not sure. As for the drivers... Well they are just insanely expensive. The strokers and the JBLs are both a good 800-900 each. I don't find that very reasonable, especially considering that with a little luck, you can pick the 2242's up in the tent sale for 1/4 of that price. I'm leanign instead towards something from TCS, since I can get just about anything from them for cost.

I recently started a job at Western University here in the city setting up stages, sound and lighting for concerts. I honestly had no idea that there was so much work involved in setting up even a small to medium sized concert. While I think a pair of the horns I have planned could keep up with the 24 bass bins we stacked up (dual ported 18's) with less work, weight, trouble and power... It really has no function for me. I could not possibly hope to aquire everything that is needed for a concert like that. Using these bass horns for anything less would simply be a waste of potential. It's really deflated my enthusiasm for the idea. If I want to build these things, the only good use I can think for them is to sell them on the commercial market.

Any advice?

Adam

Re: Warehouse space [message #38191 is a reply to message #38190] Thu, 05 September 2002 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Maybe you'll have a chance to build those bass horns later. Keep us posted.
Re: Warehouse space [message #38193 is a reply to message #38191] Thu, 05 September 2002 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Personally, I'd rather have eight guys unload one huge horn and put it into place. They are so large you wouldn't even need scaffolding. You could just carry them there, plop them down, hook up a pair of speakons and be doen with it. I think it would take a tenth of the time and effort, not to mention you could still fit two easily into a normal rental truck. It doesn't get much tougher then stacking 10 cuft bins that weigh 150 pounds each four high on a piece of wobbly scaffolding with two guys... The eight of us could have easily unloaded my proposed bass horn and sat it down, and thrown the mid highs on top.

Adam

Entrance and egress for large horns [message #38201 is a reply to message #38193] Thu, 05 September 2002 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Just be sure you keep them under 30" to be able to fit through doors. A popular format is 4 x 4 x 2, just like the Oldsmobile.
step away from that hug! [message #38206 is a reply to message #38187] Fri, 06 September 2002 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
Next thing you know, a side door large enough to park your motorcycle inside will be installed. Are you going to have "franchises", I want in on this "business plan" too :) Yes, and I want my franchise contract to clearly state I am entitled to "two parts pretty girls, one part cold beer, and one part nice music"...Sam (the future roadi-apprentice)

hey, my future "IPO" involves bolt cutters and jumper cables...find an abandoned building, "open" the door, "turn on" the electricity, put a 511/4648a-8 in each corner behind chain link fences, and sell rave tickets at $20 a head, and bottled water for $1...Pepper the cattle dog will "handle unruly clients"...that's my version of "grass roots capitalism" anyway.

Re: Entrance and egress for large horns [message #38211 is a reply to message #38201] Fri, 06 September 2002 22:36 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
With 150 db of potential output from 40 Hz and up per horn, I don't think you'd have to put them in the building... You could just aim them inside.... :D

Adam

Previous Topic: OT: How I Spent My Summer, by......
Next Topic: Reconing JBL D130's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 09:26:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout