Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne, my bass horn design...
Re: Wayne, my bass horn design... [message #37469 is a reply to message #37455] Wed, 24 July 2002 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
and which car is this going in ?

j/k

Re: Here [message #37470 is a reply to message #37463] Wed, 24 July 2002 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Last week I did a patent search, there was a unity horn patent, check it out.
Ha! [message #37473 is a reply to message #37470] Wed, 24 July 2002 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Midrange drivers facing horn walls, reflections a-plenty.

Re: Wayne, my bass horn design... [message #37476 is a reply to message #37455] Wed, 24 July 2002 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
I would be inclined to pick up a few inexpensive utility trailer frames. Most I've seen can carry 1000 lb loads. If you went with something like this you could build the whole thing on a trailer chasis and it would be instantly protable. If the mouth of the horn is 2.5 meter x 2.5 meter you would be in legal limit of interstate width laws. if more than that you could have 4 panels that could fold out and become the last few feet of the mouth. Space would also be available near the front where the horn is smaller so you could store other gear for transportation. Just my thoughts. Good luck, it's a big project for sure.

Bill

Re: Wayne, my bass horn design... [message #37491 is a reply to message #37476] Thu, 25 July 2002 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That's a great idea.... !

Adam

Re: Wayne, my bass horn design... [message #37500 is a reply to message #37455] Thu, 25 July 2002 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
freddyi is currently offline  freddyi
Baron
Adam (apologies for breaking into the thread) - might consider this type of modular unit? - is it too short for your application?

freddy

Re: Wayne, my bass horn design... [message #37513 is a reply to message #37500] Thu, 25 July 2002 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Super idea!

Re: Wayne, my bass horn design... [message #37519 is a reply to message #37455] Fri, 26 July 2002 07:53 Go to previous message
D Kurfman is currently offline  D Kurfman
Esquire
Adam,

I would spend some time studying stress skin panels used for home construction. You are probably over-estimating the amount of plywood you need. Admittedly, they need most of their strength in compression mode, but the panels can be used as roofs and have trucks put on them. A typical panel is OSB with 4-12 inches of expanded polysterene, extruded polystyrene (much better, ie blueboard)or polyisocyanurate, the high R stuff like the expanding foam. I would bet that for what you are doing, 2" blueboard with 1/4' luan style surface would work. You need very strong adhesion between the wood and the foam using an adhesive that won't attack the foam. Typically, the edges (top and bottom) have a continuous strip of wood. In your case you would probably want to cut inter-locking strips that join at the correct angle. Splines are often driven from top to bottom as part of joining the assembly. The excess foam that has to be removed to do this can be removed via router or hot wire. Such a build up, if you can compress each panel sufficiently, will be much simpler than maniplating expansion foam, in my opinion, though you can fill voids with the foam. Examples are available from panel manufacturers of how the techniques are used for homes. Probably something on the net with some hunting under structural foam panels.

Previous Topic: impression on theater 4pi
Next Topic: kilomax 18 making noise
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 21:18:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout