Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2Pi's and 45 Amp's
2Pi's and 45 Amp's [message #36233] Fri, 03 May 2002 07:29 Go to next message
goldengate is currently offline  goldengate
Esquire
Hi:

Is anyone out there running a Studio 2 Pi with a 45 tube Amp? I know that the Studio 2 is listed at 97db. Do not know if that is sufficient with the 45 or if I would need an even more efficient speaker. I do not listen at loud levels and my room is medium.

Thanks.

Re: Build a Pair! [message #36241 is a reply to message #36233] Fri, 03 May 2002 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Hi,

I have 2pi's but I dont have 45 amps. I can tell you that the 2Pis are ever so slightly less efficient than my 4Pi speakers. this is not by any measurements. this is just unplugging one and switching to the other. there virtually no need to adjust the volume.

It would be my opinion that for what you have described. the 2Pi would be right up your alley.

Bill

Re: Build a Pair! [message #36243 is a reply to message #36241] Fri, 03 May 2002 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goldengate is currently offline  goldengate
Esquire
Thanks for the info. I have ordered the Studio 2's and will get them in about 6 weeks.

How do you like the 4 Pi's? Is the tonal quality similar to the Studio 2's (other than deeper bass)? While I am not a DIYer, I am thinking about buying the kit for these (or the thermionic 3's) as a longer range project.

Re: 2Pi Review [message #36245 is a reply to message #36243] Fri, 03 May 2002 19:13 Go to previous message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
I like the 4 Pi's very much. To answer your question about tonal quality being the same. The answer is no, and the explanation is.

Both these speakers being a two way, are using the LF driver well into 1200hz. The 2pi speakers are using an Alpha 10 by Eminence. The 4pi speakers I have are using a 2226 by JBL. This is apples and oranges for me.
You'll like the 2pi speakers in a smaller environment or for fill in sound. If you have a larger area and want to open it up a bit. Youll be very happy with the 4 pi.

I had my 2pi's sitting on top of my 4 pi for a week now, switching back and forth and all around. At low volumes the 2 pi is more articualte and detailed. The soundstage is very nice. At higher volumes, the tweeter starts to bug me a little, and i move over to the 4pi, which will just tear the house appart given the chance.

Now that the two Pi's are sitting to the back of the living room. Taken on the stature of the surround speaker they were intended for. I find them perfect. High in efficiency. so I dont have to play with channel levels any more than a little seating position or delay worth of adjustment. They dont have killer bass, But that comes from a subwoofer and the 2pi is easily placed where You would like it, not where it Needs to be! (i have a few that fit that one)
last and most important. the imaging the 2pi has fills the back of the room nicely, and the crisp detail is what i wanted for in a movie.
When car drives down the road on a fall day. you can hear the leaves crunch under the tires as it rolls to a stop.

Wayne should be able to fill you in on some technical details of why tone would be different on a JBL. and then again. It may be very similar to a Theater or Thermionic 4Pi using a Delta driver.

Previous Topic: 2226+2618+Diana Krall In Paris=Vinyl? CD? SACD? DVD-A?
Next Topic: question on DECWARE "The Wicked One
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 02 21:15:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout