Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » to Stage or to Theater
to Stage or to Theater [message #35280] Fri, 01 March 2002 14:32 Go to next message
dbeardsl is currently offline  dbeardsl
Master
I searched the Forum.. couldn't find a good previuos discussion of these different Pi's

So yeah,
The stage with its smaller box and tougher driver
The Theater with its prolly more linear response, well, lower at least.

I already have boxes as big as the Theaters (a bit bigger actually, some 3ways I made using EV 15TRXB's) and honestly, the response goes REALLY low. I love the smooth bottom octave of these, but I'm not sure don't want another pair of 8cu ft enclosures...

The Stage 4 Pi's are an option... I'm just concerned that I'll loose some in the 25-40hz region.. my guess is that it has a pretty steep rolloff below 40 or so, where as the Theaters with the delta 15 have a much smoother rolloff

(All guessing and speculation)

Now, The question is quantitative. How much lower is the Stage at say 30Hz? anybody have a gander, measurements, or calculations (Wayne?)

Re: to Stage or to Theater [message #35282 is a reply to message #35280] Fri, 01 March 2002 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The Stage Series speakers are made for higher power applications, and work well without much boundary loading. They're suitable for wall mounting or sitting on the floor. The Theater three π is too, but the Theater four π really needs boundary loading. It can really hit the low notes if sitting in a corner or very near. But don't run that speaker out in the open.
Some actual calculations [message #35287 is a reply to message #35280] Sat, 02 March 2002 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I Ran PiAlign on The EM Delta 15LF, Then used WIN ISD (see link) to graph the responses of it and The Delta 15 and a number of others.

The response of that 15 LF is almost exactly the same shape (several db less efficient though) in a 3.8cuft box as the Delta 15 in the Theater 4Pi box.

Of course, the published graph looks like there is a massive 15dB dip in the 40-50Hz area. Would it really have a dip like that in this application? or is that some wierd effect of running in an Infinite baffle.

anybody have any thoughts on this?

Delta 12's, 15's and the new Magnum series [message #35292 is a reply to message #35287] Sat, 02 March 2002 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
My reason for choosing the Delta 15 for the Theater Series four π speaker was that its overall response was much better than the Delta 15LF. I think the Delta 15 is a cleaner sounding driver, which was particularly important to me when using it in a two-way system. I do like the Delta 12LF used in the three π though, and if you need a smaller cabinet, I strongly recommend that you consider building or buying Theater Series three π speakers.

The Theater Series four π speakers have rapidly become very popular speakers and with good reason. Their performance is good, particularly for the price. They are somewhat large, however, and as you've noted, this is set by the driver used. But if you've got the space, those Theater Series four π speakers are hard to beat.

Have you seen the new Magnum drivers from Eminence? They are in a completely different price range, and so a comparison with the Delta series parts isn't merited. But I think you might find their announcement to be interesting, nonetheless.

It appears Eminence has decided to stop inferring that JBL Professional Series offerings were "over-engineered" and have decided to enter into the arena with them instead. Their new LF motors boast flux-stabilizing shorting rings that reduce harmonic distortion. I'm very interested to evaluate these drivers, and plan to do that shortly.

Thanks [message #35304 is a reply to message #35292] Mon, 04 March 2002 10:14 Go to previous message
Master
Thanks Wayne. Now I just have to decide on cabinet construction :-)

1X2's edge glued, Birch Plywood, Marine grade plywood maybe, MDF, ...

Previous Topic: Midwest Audiofest!
Next Topic: Wayne, comment on Delta lower mid-range?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 31 14:24:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio