Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2Pi Great for 2A3
2Pi Great for 2A3 [message #35031] Fri, 08 February 2002 06:01 Go to next message
uW is currently offline  uW
Chancellor
Here is a photo of my Studio Series Two Pi's, which I have been using for a couple of months with my Afterglow SE2A3 2.4W/channel power amp. The Two Pi's sound great! The amp can drive them much louder than I care to listen to. Bass is deep, realistic and not boomy. String bass sounds great, and electric bass started to sound tight, once I put upgraded coupling caps in my Foreplay preamp. (The Foreplay and Afterglow are the two nickel-plated boxes with tube cages in the upper-right-hand corner.)

As far as I'm concerned, Studio Series Two Pi's are the best bargain around for high-efficiency speakers.

Thanks, Wayne!

-uW

Re: 2Pi Great for 2A3 [message #35034 is a reply to message #35031] Fri, 08 February 2002 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trancemitr is currently offline  trancemitr
Viscount
uW,

That's a great looking setup! Did you make those Pis yourself, or did you get them directly from Wayne? Is that a TNT Flexy rack holding the equipment? I've got one of those in the works along with the 4 Pis. Assuming that is a Flexy, what did you end up using for vibration dampening, the sheets or the spray stuff? Just curious.

Kevin

Re: 2Pi Great for 2A3 [message #35036 is a reply to message #35031] Fri, 08 February 2002 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JanB is currently offline  JanB
Esquire
Great looking picture!
I'm planning building a pair for surround speakers, my fronts are Theater 4Pi's.
Best Regards
JanB

Re: 2Pi Great for 2A3 [message #35038 is a reply to message #35034] Fri, 08 February 2002 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I made them myself. I'd probably buy them from Wayne next time, though. They were a *lot* of work, and Wayne sells them cheap!

Yes, it's a Flexy rack. I didn't do much for damping-- just gasket material between the wood and the washers. I'm not a purist when it comes to coupling and damping.

-uW

Re: 2Pi Great for 2A3 [message #35041 is a reply to message #35038] Fri, 08 February 2002 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Your speakers look great! I'm glad you're enjoying them!
Re: 2Pi Great for 2A3 [message #35057 is a reply to message #35031] Sat, 09 February 2002 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom B. is currently offline  Tom B.
Esquire
Thank's much for the photos. I'm looking about for some 2A3 speakers, but have a tiny 14'X 12' listening room. Everyone has an opinion, but most folks won't tell you that you'll need a room as big as a parking lot to fit their favorite Lowther horns. Anyone else know of site with pic's of SMALL effecient speakers?

Tom B.

Re: 2Pi Great for 2A3 [message #35060 is a reply to message #35057] Sat, 09 February 2002 12:24 Go to previous message
Chancellor
Hi Tom,

No, I don't know of one, although I've been thinking of starting one. I have some recommendations, though, in case they're helpful.

One Pi's are very small and very inexpensive, and are plenty efficient. The One Pi-plus-sub arrangement is essentially the same thing Doc Bottlehead has been recommending as his "Climax" system (except you would only have to build the sub if you bought the One Pi's ready-built).

I like the Two Pi's, which are small enough to suit my living room. Wayne recommends the Thermionic Series Three Pi's, which are smallish by horn standards but big by bookshelf standards.

There are some JBL studio monitors with horn tweeters that are very small and around $400 a pair that look like a pretty good option (but look to me as being pretty similar to the One Pi's again).

The Fostex BK16 horn is pretty small and is supposed to sound great, but you'd have the usual Fostex problem of having a really narrow sweet spot. I found the plans on a German horn site. I could forward them to you if you want.

And the Bottlehead Straight-8's are pretty small (tall and narrow), and are a pretty hilarious piece of engineering.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Feels kind of weird name-checking non-Pi speakers here, but the Pi's come off pretty well on the cost/value ratio, so it's probably cool. Wayne doesn't seem to be the type of guy to mind at all, anyway.

-uW

Previous Topic: Are Graphic Equalisers the best for getting extra bass
Next Topic: Seven Pi-18 or Ten Pi-18(long)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 19:50:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio