Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3677s
3677s [message #34696] Fri, 11 January 2002 11:51 Go to next message
mfong is currently offline  mfong
Esquire
After reading this forum for sometime now I decided to purchase a pair of 3677s from JBL' tent sale. Recieved them the next day. Right now running a makeshift pi crossover at 1.6k. The highs are very nice but I can't seem to get the bottom just right. Has anyone figured out how to cross the M115 in the 3677s? I have run it with the 1mh and 10uf but found i needed a zobel to cool the mids. I made it up with 8ohm 33uf and it seemed to work ok. I would like to keep it simple and not use a zobel If I happen to use them for sound reinforcement for church I would need large power resistors. I know I could get them at PE, but if I don't need them I'd rather not. I also ran it with just the 1mh inductor. They sounded ok, not as forward. I'm new to this forum stuff, so some of my discriptions may be confusing. Just need help in crossing the M115 to the horn. I have nothing nice(flat response) to compare the sound too, just my tin ears.
Re: 3677s [message #34697 is a reply to message #34696] Fri, 11 January 2002 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I log on to post about the 3677s x-over and here's MFong. Howyadoin!
Finished wiring up the 8 resistors 20 minutes ago, shoved the speaker into the TV room and fired up Armageddon. Crossed over to the Titanic sub at 60 Hz; nice!
I'm using the P.E. Eminence x-over at 1.6Khz with the 10uF cap removed as per Fearless Leader's instructions.
I had also noodled around with jumpers on the music system and found, as you did, that the upper mids (Ella Fitzgerald) was, if not a little bright, at least "tinny" sounding. The compensation network on the tweeter helped a lot. I agree that with the furnished cabinet the woofer probably needs the zobel. Be warned, though, that I haven't wired up the Theatre 4's with it so I don't really know it's (the zobels') effect.
I plan to use the 3677's as is with the Pi x-overs until I get done with the Theatre 4 zobel and veneer. Then I'll tackle boxes for the Home Theatre, using the 2226J's I got in the 4846 instead of the M115.

Jeepers, I'm 86'ng the .357 from 92010 and ................

Re: 3677s [message #34699 is a reply to message #34697] Fri, 11 January 2002 15:37 Go to previous message
mfong is currently offline  mfong
Esquire
I wish that i could afford the 2226H,J or even the original 2035H, knowing I shouldn't pass up the tent sale, but I had a hard enough time getting permission to purchase these babies, with my first one on the way. So for now I must live with the included M115's. I like the external dual binding posts on the side. Makes it very easy to attach and tinker with an external crossover. Once I get it right though, I'll probably put it inside and attach a speakOn connector. So for the momment I'll wait and tinker with this mysterious M115 woofer, hoping for someone to discover the TS and response curve so we can tame this little baby.
Previous Topic: I've done it!
Next Topic: T/S parameters for eminence 18"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Oct 20 18:21:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout