Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Question for Wayne: Cabinet Proportions and Sizes
Question for Wayne: Cabinet Proportions and Sizes [message #34178] Fri, 16 November 2001 09:33 Go to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Wayne, I am very interested in your loudspeakers as I have heard only good things about them. However I have the probably oft repeated problem of having to fit the speakers into a smallish listening room doubling as a family (read that "wife's") room: 14.5'x17.5'x7.5'. I don't think bass propogation is a problem but I am looking for the dynamics that I hear your designs excell at. I am thinking the Stage 4 Pi's are about the right size as far as footprint goes but does the 26" height get the soundstage up high enough? How about stands?
Secondly, how critical is cabinet proportions to the sonics of the Pi alignment? Can the Theater 4Pi's be made narrower, deeper and taller without losing the sonic integrity of your design?
Lastly, are your speakers built on a custom made basis in conjunction with a customers specific needs? As far as DIY, what support do you like to provide to those who are trying to execute your designs themselves? Can you provide parts and plans less cabinets? And how about turn around time?
Thanks!

Garland

Re: Question for Wayne: Cabinet Proportions and Sizes [message #34185 is a reply to message #34178] Fri, 16 November 2001 16:46 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You can modify proportions slightly, but don't make them too different. I wouldn't make them tall and thin because standing waves at bass or midbass frequencies might result. Also, keep the relationship between drivers the same as far as placement on the baffle. Basically, an inch or two taller with volume kept the same by making them thinner or less deep is OK but much further and you might change things.

About stands, you have two competing priorities. One is to get the midwoofers around ear level. The other is to reduce floor bounce. Midwoofers elevated more than about a foot create a midbass/midrange notch from the floor reflection, with frequency dependant on height. The typical ear-level height placement creates a deep notch at 100-150Hz. I prefer to place the speakers a little lower than that as a result. You can tilt them back, perhaps on a mini-stand that angles the speaker 10 degrees or so.

Previous Topic: the worst speakers ever!! jbl 4655
Next Topic: 3 Way Seven Pi crossover, with JBL CS3115 Parts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 13:39:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout