Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Making speakers "disappear"
And now a response to your post [message #33203 is a reply to message #33202] Sun, 15 April 2001 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
J Harris is currently offline  J Harris
Esquire
Wayne,

Thanks for all the considered suggestions! One issue is that I have already done MAJOR mods to the Heresys... upgraded the crossover caps, rewired most of the crossover and the drivers, replaced the backs, added binding posts, fully damped the horns and woofer basket, lined the interiors with fiberglass and loosely stuffed them, and braced them with 2" dowels.

It's interesting, but I wonder whether I should just go with a new speaker instead! I've put SO much work into the Heresys, and as much as I like them, I think the real problem is that they don't mate with my room very well.

What do you think of me using Pi cornerhorns with rear baffles?

Thanks again Wayne -- you give advice way beyond the demand of duty!

All the best,
J!

Yes - Build some Pi speakers! [message #33204 is a reply to message #33203] Sun, 15 April 2001 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne_Parham is currently offline  Wayne_Parham
Master
I wouldn't modify the Heresy's if you're happy with them, but if the mids and tweeters are still a bit hot - then yes, I would. But if you have corners, I think you be happy with Pi cornerhorns and if not, maybe consider one of the other Pi designs instead.
Thank you so much for this post... [message #33227 is a reply to message #33179] Sun, 22 April 2001 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NickR is currently offline  NickR
Esquire
There are times when I point my speakers at strange angles - away from me into the wall or placing the speakers close together with a toe-out of 45 degrees.

I have slowly learned that I can trust my own experience despite the huge wall of grief I get from the 'audiophile' community.

I think audio is amazingly subtle and complex and it's easy to think you've got it nailed when in reality you haven't a clue. A lot of 'audiphile' posters fall into this catagory.

Thanks for providing some validation!

Another possible definition [message #33228 is a reply to message #33179] Sun, 22 April 2001 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NickR is currently offline  NickR
Esquire
I have heard people use the 'disappear' word in relation to being unable to locate the position of the physical speakers.

Sometimes there can be a 'soundstage' but you are also aware of sound being sourced at the physical speaker location.

I don't know if this is a speaker issue or a room accoustics issue but I know I seem to be sensitive to this effect. Sometimes I sit quite far away from the speakers to 'make them go away'.

Re: Another possible definition [message #33229 is a reply to message #33228] Sun, 22 April 2001 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Yes, I think you're right. I think it's kind of the same thing, but I think you're right.
"Audiophiles" [message #33230 is a reply to message #33227] Sun, 22 April 2001 17:02 Go to previous message
Master
I think usually the term "audiophile" is used sort of like "connoisseur." But sometimes "audiophile" is more like "alchemist."
Previous Topic: braces for enclosures?
Next Topic: wayne, i just received my pi 7 cabinets
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 16:27:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout