Home » Audio » Swap Meet » WANTED: Magnepan Speakers Needing Repair
WANTED: Magnepan Speakers Needing Repair [message #32752] Fri, 16 June 2006 16:47 Go to next message
floydturbo is currently offline  floydturbo
Esquire
Hello I would like to purchase any dead or in need of repair magnepan speakers. Reasonably priced. email me with what you have. tboice@new.rr.com Thanks.... P.S. I can pick-up within a 225 mile radius of Green Bay, Wi

Re: WANTED: Magnepan Speakers Needing Repair [message #32777 is a reply to message #32752] Sat, 12 August 2006 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tony Ives is currently offline  Tony Ives
Esquire
I've just started trying to figure out what to do with a pair of SMGa's. I bought them used 12 years ago. For the last 2 years they have become progressively muddier, but with no rattle. There looks like corrosion on the wires, both main panel and tweeker, but the wires haven't lifted off the mylar much. I wondered for a while if my amp was going, but it drives a pair of psb's to high volume with no problem.

I want advice more than to sell them. But since you were nearby (I'm in Madison), I thought I would respond.

Re: WANTED: Magnepan Speakers Needing Repair [message #32780 is a reply to message #32777] Fri, 18 August 2006 20:19 Go to previous message
jpvanson is currently offline  jpvanson
Esquire
Tony,

Sounds like you're encountering the typical problem with older Maggies, the tweeter wire has corroded thus causing a loss of treble. Fortunately, its a very easy fix and Magnepan sells a kit for ~$50 shipped that'll do the job just fine.

You can read how to do it and see some pictures of the repair of some SMGas at the link below.

- JP

Previous Topic: McCormack DNA-1 power amp
Next Topic: CD's & DVD's for trade
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:56:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers