Home » Audio » Swap Meet » Akhilesh; you wild and crazy guy!
Akhilesh; you wild and crazy guy! [message #32534] Thu, 30 June 2005 18:19 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I can't believe from out of nowhere this is becoming the Altec Speaker Forum. Good thing I kept all my drivers so I can play too.
The best dream shootout I can think of would be A7's/Pi Pro 4's. That might be worth traveling for.

Re: Akhilesh; you wild and crazy guy! [message #32535 is a reply to message #32534] Thu, 30 June 2005 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No comparison, in my opinion. A better comparison would be the Theater fours. They are similar in size and response.

Re: Akhilesh; you wild and crazy guy! [message #32536 is a reply to message #32534] Fri, 01 July 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I know, I know. I now realize that I am addicted: i own a pair of K horns and now a pair of VOTTTs. Not to mention sundry drivers that I am doing little projects with.
THis is IT! No more speaker purchases...and no more spending money, i am just going to enjoy the music. (not to mention that my house & office are running out of space).
-akhilesh

Re: Akhilesh; you wild and crazy guy! [message #32537 is a reply to message #32535] Fri, 01 July 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well; regarding the Theater 4's I am sure you know you're preaching to the choir there; best deal since the Louisiana Purchase.
But they are pretty different animals, horn loaded woofer and all.
I don't mean a comparison in absolute terms; ie. regarding better or worse. I mean more of how each affects particular styles of music and reacts with different amplification.

Re: Akhilesh; you wild and crazy guy! [message #32538 is a reply to message #32536] Fri, 01 July 2005 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
If you run out of room you can set up housekeeping in the A7 boxes.

Re: Akhilesh; you wild and crazy guy! [message #32539 is a reply to message #32537] Fri, 01 July 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's what I meant too. They sound similar. Each has a nice full midrange and they are both physically large so bass is deep but shelved. That makes quarter-space and eighth-space radiation work best. It also makes both speakers forgiving of a little bit of SET bloom on the bottom. But neither is good for a SET amp that has weak bass. The A7 VOTT and the Theater four π have always struck me as having similar characteristics and sound.

Re: Akhilesh; you wild and crazy guy! [message #32540 is a reply to message #32536] Fri, 01 July 2005 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Not quite yet, you may have to pick up some altec 416 drivers if the bass isn't going low enough for ya. Rather than using the 515's.
Bill W.

Re: Akhilesh; you wild and crazy guy! [message #32541 is a reply to message #32539] Sat, 02 July 2005 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You know; sitting them againsnt the rear wall I have not noticed a lack of bass with SE compared to a push-pull amp or SS. Different bass and somewhat looser but to my ears it seems to go equally as low.
Which brings up this question.
I hear people say that this or that speaker goes down to 35hz or 30hz. Without having something to measure the actual number such as the HFNRR record or something similar; what to your ears enables you; or anyone to tell where you are in the frequency spectrum? I can hear low tones from recordings I know to be representing fundementals; but discerning that your speakers are playing say, 25-30hz; how does one know?
Unless you have a proven recording that you can point to as an example; say the big bass drum in Pictures at an Exhibition; the Great Gates Of Kiev; I personally can't distinguish exact low notes. Something to me either sounds powerfull in the bass; or it has that punchy lower/mid- bass sound; or it has the sub-woofer rumble. But I don't hear real bass like a pipe organ in any current music that would inform me of very low tones.
Here's an example. We spoke about the fact that Altec's are weak in the bass; however I tend to favor their lighter touch with acoustic low tones over some of the more overwhelming examples of bass reproduction. It just seems more natural to me. Same with the Theater 4's, they have a nice touch with bass but they don't do that sub-rumble thing people seem to favor. Since there is not much recorded music below 30hz; what are we trying to accomplish by tuning the bass as low as possible?
Any thought's?

Re: Akhilesh; you wild and crazy guy! [message #32542 is a reply to message #32541] Sat, 02 July 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A lot of people prefer an overdamped response down low. There is no boominess, and in some rooms, that is even more important than in others.

Some musicians are very good at identifying musical notes by ear, but most people aren't. If you know the note and the octave, you know the frequency.

Re: Akhilesh; you wild and crazy guy! [message #32543 is a reply to message #32542] Sat, 02 July 2005 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats so; but even a string bass, the lowest tone on the fretboard is 36hz; am I correct?

Previous Topic: Altec A7 VOTT cabinets for free pickup in Tulsa, OK! Heavy, authentic, great shape!
Next Topic: Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 (x2)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:21:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio