Home » Audio » Swap Meet » Linus 2 Line Arrays
Linus 2 Line Arrays [message #32493] Sun, 29 May 2005 18:38 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I plan to complete my Selah Audio XT-8 arrays next week and need to move my Linus 2 arrays out of the house. I will sell the pair for $1,000. Each enclosure stands 73" tall and has ten 5.5" Vifa TC series midwoofers and eight Dayton PT-2 planar tweeters. The crossovers include air core inductors and Northcreek caps in the signal path. The front and sides are done in white oak veneer; the back is painted black. The enclosures are built of 3/4" mdf and are especially well braced. They are sealed enclosures with a 3dB down point of 75 hz (they require a subwoofer).

A seriously good pair of line arrays with high quality drivers in well built veneered enclosures for only $1,000 - that's the good news. Now for the bad news: The speakers are at my house in Houston, are six feet tall, weigh a bit over 110# each, and I don't want to crate and ship them. So it's a cash and carry deal.

Re: Linus 2 Line Arrays [message #32494 is a reply to message #32493] Sun, 29 May 2005 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I just want to say one thing about Fred's arrays: Very, very nice.

Re: Linus 2 Line Arrays [message #32500 is a reply to message #32493] Tue, 07 June 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'll second what Wayne said. Fred's speakers are good!
Fred, quick question: How low do these go? Do they need a sub?
thanks
-akhilesh

Re: Linus 2 Line Arrays [message #32501 is a reply to message #32500] Tue, 07 June 2005 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, they have sealed enclosures and were designed for use with a sub. The F3 point is about 75hz. Without a sub the deep bass sounds like many of the single driver speakers I have heard - MIA.

Here's something to consider: If you bought just the 36 drivers and the crossover parts from Parts Express or Madisound they would cost you about $1,000. A cabinetmaker would charge another $1,500 or more to build the veneered enclosures. So you're getting the whole thing for the cost of the parts. There are several very good reasonably priced subs that can be used with the Linus Arrays. One example would be the Parts Express Titanic 10; the complete kit with driver, 250 watt plate amp, and assembled enclosure sells for $349 (It takes about one hour to assemble). So for $1,350 you could have a high end line array system with separate subwoofer.

Did I mention with the 40 watt Ella tube amp I measured 106-110dB orchestral crescendos at the listening position - just like being there. I hate to sell them but I have too many speakers sitting around gathering dust and I'm working on a couple of new projects, so they have to go.

Re: Linus 2 Line Arrays [message #32502 is a reply to message #32501] Wed, 08 June 2005 10:55 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks Fred. Sound ;ike a great deal!
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: A pair of Aurum Cantus G2si ribbon tweeter
Next Topic: GU-50 tubes and ceramic-metal sockets for sale!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:09:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio