Home » Audio » Group Build » Butt-joint veneer
Butt-joint veneer [message #32162] Sat, 07 April 2007 14:18 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Is there a good way to butt-joint wood veneer (non-paprer back)?.....C

Re: Butt-joint veneer [message #32163 is a reply to message #32162] Tue, 10 April 2007 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Baron
What type of adhesive/method are you using?

Re: Butt-joint veneer [message #32164 is a reply to message #32163] Tue, 10 April 2007 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Not really sure what type of venner I'll be using. I bought a pile of various lots from our local Rockler. The veneer is not paper backed, and I'll be using glue to bond the MDF substrate. I'm really concerned about getting a nice joint, so that rules out anything but the flattest (non-wavey) veneer.

I assume the best way is to make sure the pieces I'm butting have a perfectly straight edge and then roll the seam with a wooden roller.

Any hints you can offer will be appreciated.....Colin

Re: Butt-joint veneer [message #32165 is a reply to message #32164] Wed, 11 April 2007 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Baron
Thanks for the reply.

If this is your first time veneering, here are my suggestions:
1. Review several methods
2. Choose at least 2 methods of edge-jointing with which to experiment.
3. Experiment on scraps of MDF (if that is your substrate), edge jointing with both methods (you will need to flatten the veneer first). These do not have to be large pieces (maybe a joint that is 12” long). If you don’t want to use the veneer you have, go get some more just to experiment with.
4. Whichever method of edge jointing you use, be certain to flatten your veneer first (this only has to be done for solid wood veneer). It is pointless to try to use solid veneer unless you flatten it first. Use the glycerin/alcohol mixture mentioned in this link
http://thewoodwhisperer.com/?p=137

Here are two methods. If you do an online search for “edge-jointing” and “veneer” you may find much more.

http://members.aol.com/woodinfo1/venjoint.htm

http://www.joewoodworker.com/docs/seams.pdf

Using solid veneer can be more challenging than paper-backed, but you can get outstanding results with a little patience and practice.

For glue, I use the hot iron method using yellow woodworkers glue. There is a new glue out just for this purpose, but I have not tried it yet.

Re: Butt-joint veneer [message #32166 is a reply to message #32165] Wed, 11 April 2007 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Seeker, Thanks for in insight. I did practice on MDF before I started the real project. This is my first time to veneer, and I'm really excited to learn. I'm finishing a box that will house a tweeter, and hope to have pictures posted soon.

The butt-joint veneer will be done on the woofer box. The box is 20" long and my veneer is 19 1/2" (figures)......C

Re: Hey Colin, get out that fancy router and table saw [message #32167 is a reply to message #32166] Thu, 26 April 2007 20:09 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Rout off the corners of the cabinet creating a 1/2" wide rabbet on the front and adjacent side. Glue in a strip of hardwood and leave it 1/4" proud of the substrate + veneer. The proud edge of the hardwood after you veneer looks like you did it on purpose and the shadow line it creates is a nice detail.

No seam needed.

Your Uncle Bill

Previous Topic: The ausio Asylum is done
Next Topic: ART arrays near Iowa, Nebraska???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:43:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio