Home » Audio » Group Build » ART Array Kits - Anyone??
ART Array Kits - Anyone?? [message #32136] Mon, 05 February 2007 12:53 Go to next message
cfranz is currently offline  cfranz
Chancellor

OK. I've got an excuse, a business to run, an autistic son, and a workshop in my garage (it's 9 below today). What about everyone else? Anyone got the ART arrays up and running. Any thoughts?

Anyone?

I've got the boxes cut and am waiting for a thaw to cut the driver and port hole. Had a $700 car repair and a few other unexpecteds, but I want to get the parts this month.

It's going to be interesting to see how they stack up against the Klipsch KG-4s, the Dynaco A-25s, and the Bottlehead specials (Fostex 166E in a .75' box with a subwoofer).

Klipsch - refined and layed back. Think I need to look at the caps in there. (sigh)
Dynaco - Excellent range and clarity, a little in your face. Amazingly good from the next room.
Bottlehead Special - excellent clarity, but a headbangers sensibilities.
ART Array - ????

Look at AK [message #32137 is a reply to message #32136] Mon, 05 February 2007 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thread going on over there from a builder....

Re: ART Array Kits - Anyone?? [message #32138 is a reply to message #32136] Mon, 05 February 2007 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Measurements of the prototype are here:

They sound very nice to me. One thing that arrays do very well is to have uniform response in the midbass and midrange in a variety of listening environments. The number of drivers smooths out irregularities caused by reflections. For example, floor bounce is eliminated because the distances between drivers and the floor is so varied. Where one driver's reflection creates a null, another fills in the void. Tends to smooth the response. You can't do this with a single driver speaker on a stand. If it's at ear level, then the mids are good but the midbass has a notch somewhere because of floor bounce. Put the mini-monitor on the floor and the midbass notch goes away but midrange isn't at the right height. Fred's ART arrays solve this by having the tweeter at the right ear level height and a woofer array that spreads out the midbass sound sources, making the distances varied between each one.

Thanks. NR [message #32139 is a reply to message #32137] Tue, 06 February 2007 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cfranz is currently offline  cfranz
Chancellor
Thanks.

Re: ART Array Kits - Anyone?? [message #32140 is a reply to message #32138] Thu, 08 February 2007 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Gonna be a Spring project for me. I'm really looking for to the build. These will be mated with a 35 wpc EL34. I think this will be a great match......C

Re: ART Array Kits - Anyone?? [message #32141 is a reply to message #32140] Fri, 09 February 2007 08:54 Go to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Spring or summer project for me as well. I'd like to have a decent powered PP EL34 to run these with. That'd be nice!

Previous Topic: Smith Horn Group Build - Please Complete Survey
Next Topic: Smith horns
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:41:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout