Home » Audio » Group Build » Group Build Line Array Project
Re: Power Requirements [message #32100 is a reply to message #32099] Tue, 31 October 2006 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks Fred. I've got a NAD 320Bee 50W amp that should do the trick.

NAD 320BEE [message #32101 is a reply to message #32100] Tue, 31 October 2006 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have one too. It's an amazingly good sounding amp for $399 - makes me wonder why I spent so much money on tubes. I can't try it with the group build arrays because it's loaned out to a friend, but I used it for a while with the Selah XT-8's, and it drove them as loud as you would want to listen. It should be a good match.

Re: Done! [message #32102 is a reply to message #32097] Tue, 31 October 2006 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow! Excellent work, Fred! Can't wait to check them out!

I have the LMS system ready for crossover work and final testing.

Re: NAD 320BEE [message #32103 is a reply to message #32101] Tue, 31 October 2006 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I like it! I have the matching 520Bee CDP that I bought with it which is a very nice CDP for the money as well. These actually replaced the tube amp that UPS so kindly broke for me.

The BEE will run my Heresy's or Pi Two Towers loud enough to make your dang ears bleed. Especially with the Pi's. I can crank it up till I think the Pi's are gonna explode and the amp never even strains (I've only done this once, Wayne..to break them in for the 12B4...LOL!!!). The Pi's are now the main speakers for my 12B4 amp where they work quite nicely.

Re: Parts Expreess Group Build Discount [message #32104 is a reply to message #32093] Tue, 31 October 2006 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Cool. I just looked at the mid-woofers and got excited that they're shielded. I had to move my Heresy's back into the bedroom (where they are 2 feet apart) due to the fact that they were making my TV wig out even from 4-5 feet away. I need a good set in the living room and these may do nicely!

Next Steps [message #32107 is a reply to message #32062] Wed, 01 November 2006 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The prototype enclosures are completed and the speakers are playing with a crossover I improvised using X-ove 3 Pro as a guide. The next steps are for me to document everything you'll need to know to build your own pair, and to get them to Wayne so he can design and test a proper crossover.

Since I completed them a couple of days ago I've listened to them with a variety of amps including the solid state Monarchy SM-70 Pros, a 2A3 SET amp, a 300B SET amp, and an El34 push pull amp. The 300B's eight watts seems to be the minimum for coaxing out their full potential, and they will do everything they're capable of doing with the 40 watt EL34 amp.

I'm more than pleased with the way these speakers sound. I've used the Vifa DX25 tweeter before, but I had some reservations about the Dayton midwoofers. Specifically, I was concerned about the quality of the bass and midrange from a $14 driver. No problems!

I don't have accurate measurement equipment, but I used my Radio Shack sound meter with a Stereophile test CD to get an approximation of their in room response. Between 500hz and 8khz, the range where the meter is accurate and room resonances aren't too strong, they are wihin +/- 2dB except for a very smooth sounding 3dB "BBC dip" at the crossover point (2.5khz). At high volume settings with dynamic music you get that unmistakable line array "you are there" impression. Difficult transients like the hard strike of a full piano chord are clear up to much higher volume levels than with any of my point source speakers. The only downside I can hear is the expected rolloff below 400hz for speakers that have no baffle step compensation, but the low bass is good down to 40hz. They don't sound wimpy in the bass, but nobody is going to say "Wow, listen to that bass!" either.

I built the enclosures with Baltic birch veneer plywood because it's lighter and easier to finish than mdf, but for anybody who's building them with a hand saw instead of a highly accruate table saw and a router I recommend using 3/4" mdf. I recommend this because the seams will not fit perfectly, and the easiest way to finish them is to smooth over the rough edges with wood filler, then paint or veneer them.

Another suggestion for builders without commercial equipment: I cut 10" wider panels for the front and back, and 13.5" panels for the sides to achieve an attractive width to depth ratio with a relatively narrow profile. Lumber sources often carry mdf in 12" boards (they're really 11-1/4" wide). It will be much eaiser to use these boards without alteration because you can count on their being perfectly cut. Things will fit together much better than cutting each board with a hand saw, and this will give you a 11-1/4 wide by 12-3/4 deep enclosure. The interior volume will be almost identical to the ones I built.

I'll post another messag when I complete the documentation.

11/9 Status Report [message #32113 is a reply to message #32062] Thu, 09 November 2006 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The speakers are now in Wayne's car in Austin, bound for Tulsa this weekend. He plans to listen to them and possibly test the prototype crossover this weekend, and to do final modifcations and testing over the Thanksgiving holidays. I've completed a draft of the documentation needed to build a pair, including an enclosure drawing and detailed construction steps, which I plan to complete it as soon as the crossover specs and final port tuning are determined. I also talked to Scott Placke of Parts Express, and he plans to give us a price for the full kit as soon as the crossover specs are finalized.

As I mentioned in the General forum, these speakers (with a prototype untested crossover) were well received by participants at the Lone Star Bottlehead meeting Saturday, and they sounded especially good in a side-by-side comparison with a pair of Bottlehead Straight 8's.

So the bottom line is they sound very promising and we should have everything set to go by the end of November.

Update please [message #32150 is a reply to message #32113] Mon, 05 March 2007 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Francois G is currently offline  Francois G
Esquire
Has there been any further developments?

Re: Update please [message #32151 is a reply to message #32150] Mon, 05 March 2007 14:22 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The plans are available, and as far as I know Parts Express is still offering the complete "kit" (minus the enclosoures) for $275. Click on "Projects" at the top of the Group Build forum and look for the ART arrays.

Previous Topic: Smith horns
Next Topic: AudioRoundTable Group Build Room?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:50:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio