Home » Audio » Group Build » If your thinking about an aluminum top plate and using a nibbler.....
If your thinking about an aluminum top plate and using a nibbler..... [message #32046] Mon, 02 October 2006 18:27 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
....take it from me, an 1/8" is a s'keenth too thick.

I got these nifty rectangular 3-in-1 IEC, fuse and switch units, drilled holes all the way around the perimeter and looked forward to nibbling the opening clean. unh-unh!

Half an hour with a file. Ouch!

Re: If your thinking about an aluminum top plate and using a nibbler..... [message #32048 is a reply to message #32046] Tue, 03 October 2006 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cfranz is currently offline  cfranz
Chancellor
I love those things. Switch, fuse, IEC connector. Not particularly expensive, but a pain to cut.

I've not tried this... yet... I'm going to give it a shot with a router and a metal sidecutter bit. Aluminum isn't a particularly hard metal, it should work even with a wood bit (although you'll probably have to replace the bit more often).

if it works, I'm going to create a template for use with a 3/8 collar.

Re: If your thinking about an aluminum top plate and using a nibbler..... [message #32049 is a reply to message #32048] Tue, 03 October 2006 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, I use a nibbler tool on sheet metal that's pretty thin, but gotta go for a hacksaw once it gets bigger than about 1/16" thick.

Re: If your thinking about an aluminum top plate and using a nibbler..... [message #32050 is a reply to message #32049] Tue, 03 October 2006 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cfranz is currently offline  cfranz
Chancellor
I've never liked nibblers on metal; I tend to leave a bad edge. Love them for plastic work, or separating out decals. But, a good diamond blade hack saw makes short work of aluminum... if your patient and have good hand/eye coordination.
As I've gotten older, I've lost the eyes for fine manual work. I've pretty much had to give up model railroading... Even with reading glasses and a jeweler’s loupe.

Re: If your thinking about an aluminum top plate and using a nibbler..... [message #32051 is a reply to message #32050] Tue, 03 October 2006 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're right about the nibbler twisting the edge of the cut. If a part is going to be visible, that's not the best way to cut it.

Where'd ya get em' [message #32053 is a reply to message #32046] Tue, 03 October 2006 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hey Bill,

Where'd ya get those from? I could use several myself.

Re: Where'd ya get em' [message #32054 is a reply to message #32053] Tue, 03 October 2006 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
They're from Digikey, part # Q300-ND. $8.35 each.
Check the page they're on there's several config's.
I got snap-in and wished I had got screw on. The flange is about a 1/16 and nooo room for error.

Re: If your thinking about an aluminum top plate and using a nibbler..... [message #32055 is a reply to message #32051] Tue, 03 October 2006 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forty2wo is currently offline  Forty2wo
Master
Try a jewelers saw, or other very fine copeing saw blade. It is actually faster and easier than drilling a line of holes then cleaning them up…John

Re: If your thinking about an aluminum top plate and using a nibbler..... [message #32059 is a reply to message #32046] Thu, 05 October 2006 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
FWIW, I use a sabesaw with a metal cutting blade, works great. First I cover the area with that blue painter's tape so nothing gets scratched (easier to draw the outline on, too).

Re: Hey Steve, [message #32060 is a reply to message #32059] Thu, 05 October 2006 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Euphonia is back-orderd 'til the 16th on the meters, which won't say Western Eelctric on the face.
The website says the mounting hole is 1 3/4". Is that right? And what is the overall size?
I picked up a gorgeous piece of cherry today and hope to have the base ready this weekend.

Previous Topic: The "Evil" Dr. Brown
Next Topic: 300B SE Project, Part 8 - Common cathode 6SN7 triode driver
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:07:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout