Home » Audio » Group Build » Heyboer
Heyboer [message #31938] Wed, 09 August 2006 11:41 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
They are winding OPTs for the Eico HF 87/89 series of amps. Very high quality units. DIYTube has a PC board that can use those. It is a duplicate of the Mullard 5-20 amp circuit with a couple minor changes.
Very good sounding PP amps.

Re: Heyboer [message #31939 is a reply to message #31938] Thu, 10 August 2006 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yes, I noticed that they can provide replacement OPTs for various vintage amps. We know that they can provide custom things too, for example Doug`s versions (with multiple UL taps) of some vintage Peerless OPTs.
Did you actually bought a pair (give us some details, $, etc. if yes), and do you have a plan to build Eico/Mullard amp copy, and why?
I mean, some new (and good, IMO) Doug`s PP designs are in "Projects" section...you can get a full suport here from the designer (and me + some others, of course, ) - but overall interest is low... I know, from talking to the actual building is abyss sometimes...but...

Re: Heyboer [message #31940 is a reply to message #31939] Thu, 10 August 2006 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well I have the PC copy of the Mullard circuit on a beautifull board. I could easily wire it up and plug in the transformers and Voila! I'd have the amps( In Mono-block). But thats not really what I want to do; I am looking more at learning stuff so to build a good PP amp as a companion to Guienvere would be nice. I have a good PT; 800vct 200ma that might work on something. I don't know the VA rating but I could find out. Heyboer makes nice stuff; those Eico trans would be good units for a project. 67$ each.

Re: Heyboer [message #31943 is a reply to message #31940] Sun, 13 August 2006 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
That is a good deal for those transformers. I just got the Peerless S-271-S taken down and quoted. With taps at the first three layers( 12.5% increments ), they're going to cost me $275 each, stacked with good steel, and vacuum impreg with microcrystalline wax. They're going into my PP 813 amp...:) I plan to compare them, in the same circuit, at about the same OP to the Citation II outputs.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: Heyboer [message #31944 is a reply to message #31943] Mon, 14 August 2006 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You bring up an interesting point. Taking the art of transformer construction to the limit; and considering that the trans are along with the circuit the two important components of good sound; will the difference be readily apparent do you think?

Re: Heyboer [message #31945 is a reply to message #31944] Mon, 14 August 2006 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
I don't think there is a 'limit'. Just a degree of picking trade-off's. I also don't think parts can make up for poor design, just as the reverse is also impossible. There are *MANY* ways to build an OK amp...building a great one is a whole lot more personal and difficult.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: Heyboer [message #31946 is a reply to message #31945] Mon, 14 August 2006 19:30 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yep; that answers the question.

Previous Topic: C transformers cores colours marks
Next Topic: Ohm Sweet Ohm
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 20:04:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio