Home » Audio » Group Build » The bass is back.
The bass is back. [message #31898] Sun, 04 June 2006 22:25 Go to next message
Forty2wo is currently offline  Forty2wo
Master
I went back and restored the B+ to the original higher level, 425v on the plate of the 300b verses 375v.
This raised the D3a plate to 192V, up from 155V. So I have the grid of the D3a at 2.2V for about 9.5ma.

So how does it sound? Good, very good. In the neighborhood of outstanding, but not in the house yet.
Compared to my references, DRD 45’s this amp is more lively but not as refined.

So we’re dancing to the electric blues and that’s good enough for now…John

Re: The bass is back. [message #31900 is a reply to message #31898] Mon, 05 June 2006 08:01 Go to previous message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Huh...maybe we must "reconcile" with the fact that cathode biased (R//C) triode, transformer-coupled with XYZ speaker can`t be totally sonically neutral. On the top of this, "traditional" tube PS (rel. high Zout and probably high Q, too) has it`s own impact on "sound"...
We can try to find transparent-sounding driver, or driver which is sonically "complement" to the rest of the amp...
I have a friend who has the pro-rec. studio (currently big and small active PMC monitors) who said it nice:"No way that I`ll use this (my 300B SE) amp for the job...but I want it at home, for listening the music!"
Hey, that`s a compliment, actually!

Previous Topic: A few measurements
Next Topic: SE 300B Project, Part 12 - C3g driver
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 07:36:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers