Home » Audio » Group Build » choke measurements
choke measurements [message #31830] Sun, 19 March 2006 17:42 Go to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
I got part of the work done on a single today. Small Ni cored deal, advertised in the kHy inductance.

Minimum impedance was at 800 cps, and it was close to 20 Meg( self resonance ). At 20kHz it was down to ~200k Ohms, with a trivial few kOhm of winding DCR adding to the shunt capacitance.

I am going to use some precision caps to determine two new self resonance frequencies, and plug in to the calculator to determine C_w and L. With these, off to excel and see how the imipedance curve fits the L and C impedance curves.

I measured two samples, and they were indistinguishable from each other on my bench. It was neat to see theory in action, that's for sure. More to come on some other inductors I have as lab scheduling permits.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: choke measurements [message #31832 is a reply to message #31830] Mon, 20 March 2006 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Keep us posted, very interesting!

Re: choke measurements [message #31837 is a reply to message #31832] Tue, 21 March 2006 17:25 Go to previous message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yep, I will...like I said, there's more work to do. It is interesting to see all this shake out.

Resonance is an interesting thing. Omega*L for 4500 Hy is no where near 20 Meg at 800 cps.

I'm also interested in seeing how one of mine works, or two of mine, or the yet-to-be-wound one. Still wanting to acquire some of that JFE Supercore Hi-Si stuff. Perm and Sat-levels like Iron, with loss like 80% Ni...I bet it sounds quite good.
cheers,
Douglas

Previous Topic: 6S19P-V as line stage, driver, or phase splitter tube?
Next Topic: Anyone use 6S45P with 12B4A concertina for PP 7591A or 6L6?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 12:53:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio