Home » Audio » Group Build » CCS Failure Possibilities
Re: whaaaaaat? [message #31795 is a reply to message #31794] Fri, 03 March 2006 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
It's not so much about being worried; it's more about knowing all potential risk factors ahead of time. So you say if the Mos-Fet fails then it doesn't affect the tube? Because if that is the case then there is nothing to worry about.
There was some posts on the net suggesting that there could be a problem should that happen; putting the entire B+ across the tube.

Re: whaaaaaat? [message #31797 is a reply to message #31795] Sat, 04 March 2006 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
I can say I have not encountered that sort of failure. The usual is a gate-source short on the lower MOSFET, and this is prevented by the back-to-back Zener clamps.

When I have had a G-S short with a battery circuit, the short will discharge the batteries through the R-set and ~250k filter resistor. One discovers the problem quickly and a 'trace' gets lifted to open the circuit...:)

Anyway, I don't see much risk, either to equipment or the wallet, and certainly not the operator( that would be US ).
cheers,
Douglas

Re: whaaaaaat? [message #31798 is a reply to message #31797] Sat, 04 March 2006 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks Doug; what is the battry circuit?

Re: whaaaaaat? [message #31799 is a reply to message #31798] Sat, 04 March 2006 07:40 Go to previous message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
The battery bias (from output end of R-set to the source) allows a larger R-set value for a given current. The battery voltage plus the bias voltage is used for the V, i is left as the design value, and R is solved for with Lord Ohm's eq'n. One can use up to 4 of the 3,3Volt Li-Ion button cells and not worry about Zener leakage on the G-S clamp.

The batteries are then R-C fileted/decoupled from the gate with a 250k resistor and .015 or bigger capacitor. The Russian teflon is a fine piece in this position, but a small poloystyrene/foil should be quite good as well.
cheers,
Douglas

Previous Topic: 300B SE Project, Part 7 - Common cathode 6C45Pi triode driver
Next Topic: Say Doug; how would you go about..
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:09:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio