Home » Audio » Group Build » Bias supply
Re: yes it does... [message #31739 is a reply to message #31738] Tue, 31 January 2006 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
Well Jeff, I'd say you missed my point by a mile or two. The Seth is simple, and fits that easy to build description quite well. The new front end is even simpler. It was not my intent to criticize its simplicity.

Remember, I am not in the business of selling parts for a tyro to assemble into an amp. I am not in the business of selling parts so an experienced person can build an amp either. I'm just a another DIY-er who would share the methods discovered.
cheers,
Douglas

ooooohhhh! neat [message #31740 is a reply to message #31737] Tue, 31 January 2006 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
That is about as simple as it is reasonable to do. Single filament TX is easy enough, and I have heard a few amps fairly quiet with that arrangement. The Miller neutralizing caps are quite optional, with no grid choke to contribute additional capacitive loading, the 10k output Z of the pentode stage should drive it well.

With a 12.6-0-12.6 and two diodes full wave and 25V capacitors a small negative supply for the cathode CCS is very easy. Radio Shack has a 450 mA TX for ~$7 and the 25v caps are quite inexpensive. 470R, 1/2 Watt resistors and make a CDC Pi filter.

It's easy to add the small caps later. Get it together, and listen...:) I will soon be unwinding a Peerless S-230-Q to clone for this project. The small 6k6 a-a output is probably the best budget Iron for such a project.
cheers,
Douglas

simple circuits [message #31741 is a reply to message #31737] Wed, 01 February 2006 17:42 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
hey-Hey!!!,
There are a few things to consider with a Class A amp. first is the lower B+. Low B+ cuts into available driver headroom quickly. While a cirect coupled two stage front end can be quite simple, it isn't practical for a Class A amp with ~100V less B+.

The Mullard 5-20( I think ), with its input pentode direct coupled to the LTP arranged twin triode is nice, but with its ~100V loss to the cathode load, it isn't practical.

Swap the cathode voltage allowance and resistor for a CCS and -10V negative supply opens up a lot more headroom. Swap pentodes( which do need a carefully matched g2 voltage and load choice ), and there's headroom to spare for even low-mu tubes like the 2A3.

The input stage being a pentode offers a lower capacitive load for the linestage. It is also a more static capacitance as Miller is not making an appearance due to the effects of the screen grid.

It is ridiculous( IMO ) to suggest that a *REALLY GOOD* amp can be done from a circuit compromised for simplicity. Some circuits are quite simple. I would invoke Einstein's rule, as simple as is required, but no simpler...or something like that. Anyway, it is not so difficult once the holes are drilled and the Iron is mounted.
cheers,
Douglas

Previous Topic: In the proper Tube tradition...
Next Topic: inductor winding and bobbins
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:47:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout