Home » Audio » General » More on time alignment. Wayne?
More on time alignment. Wayne? [message #3653] Thu, 31 August 2006 07:52 Go to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hi all,

Please let me know if I am going to far on these subjects. If no one is interested just let me know.

I found the following web site that discusses time alignment in speakers. It's pretty technical and beyond my comprehension at this point. But the author came to the conclusion below. He seems to think time alignment is worth while. What do you think of this article Wayne?

"For what it's worth, I originally started this article not to praise, but to debunk the theory that time alignment is the only way a speaker should ever be designed. Having done the research, run tests, and written the article, I confess that I must agree with many (perhaps even most) of the points made by the time alignment proponents. Mind you, there is still a lot that you will hear and read that is either gross exaggeration or a downright lie, and it can be very difficult to tell the difference unless you know exactly what the real story is.

Re:Not That Can Of Worms Again? [message #3654 is a reply to message #3653] Thu, 31 August 2006 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Long post on that a few months back. This should be interesting.

Re: More on time alignment. Wayne? [message #3655 is a reply to message #3653] Thu, 31 August 2006 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Elliot is talking about keeping sound sources within 1/4λ, not zero phase offset. There's a big difference. As an example, the distance equivalent to 1/4λ at 100Hz is 3 feet, so you can have that much physical offset between sound sources at 100Hz and still be "time aligned" within 1/4λ. On the other hand, to achieve true time alignment - zero phase offset - you couldn't have any reactive components in the system, the loudspeaker drivers and cabinet would have to provide a purely resistive acoustic load and the voice coils would have to be motionless. Clearly these are physical impossibilities. But to keep sound sources within 1/4λ for proper summing is a worthy goal.

Re: More on time alignment. Wayne? [message #3658 is a reply to message #3653] Thu, 31 August 2006 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
"Please let me know if I am going to far on these subjects. If no one is interested just let me know. "
I think if no one is interested, then one gets no responses. If you get responses, then people are interested!
-akhilesh

Re: More on time alignment. Wayne? [message #3659 is a reply to message #3655] Thu, 31 August 2006 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
So then you are saying that angling the speaker to "time align the drivers" such as Thiel does with their speakers, is not a marketing ploy or it is?

Thanks for your time and response to my questions.

Does this count as a response? :-) NT [message #3660 is a reply to message #3658] Thu, 31 August 2006 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
nt

Re: Does this count as a response? :-) NT [message #3662 is a reply to message #3660] Thu, 31 August 2006 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

I think Wayne has pretty much said the right thing, so there's not much I can add to it.
-akhilesh

Really, I didn't see it. [message #3665 is a reply to message #3654] Thu, 31 August 2006 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Doing a such for "time alignment" doesn't bring it up. I would like to read it. Can you show me where it is?

Thanks

That, of course, should have read "doing a search for it" NT [message #3666 is a reply to message #3665] Thu, 31 August 2006 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
NT

Re: That, of course, should have read "doing a search for it" NT [message #3668 is a reply to message #3666] Thu, 31 August 2006 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
It's there a couple months ago. I think it became a little heated.

Previous Topic: akhilesh (or anyone else of course :-)
Next Topic: Still Can't Get A response On why Guitar Players know what sounds good.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 07:55:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio